- Chronic airflow obstruction and ambient particulate air pollution.
Smoking is the most well-established cause of chronic airflow obstruction (CAO) but […]
- Lung function in children with cystic fibrosis in the USA and UK: a comparative longitudinal analysis of national registry data.
A previous analysis found significantly higher lung function in the US paediatric […]
- Tezepelumab in Adults and Adolescents with Severe, Uncontrolled Asthma.
Tezepelumab is a human monoclonal antibody that blocks thymic stromal lymphopoietin, an […]
- Bronchial gene expression signature associated with rate of subsequent FEV1 decline in individuals with and at risk of COPD.
COPD is characterised by progressive lung function decline. Leveraging prior work demonstrating […]
- Effect of Antimicrobial Therapy on Respiratory Hospitalization or Death in Adults With Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis: The CleanUP-IPF Randomized Clinical Trial.
Alteration in lung microbes is associated with disease progression in idiopathic pulmonary […]
- “Family presence for critically ill patients during a pandemic”.
Family engagement is a key component of high-quality critical care, with known […]
- Safety and Performance of Transbronchial Cryobiopsy for Parenchymal Lung Lesions.
Despite advances in technology, the bronchoscopic diagnosis of parenchymal pulmonary lesions (PPL) […]
- Socioeconomic factors and adherence to CPAP – the population-based DISCOVERY study.
Early identification of poor adherence to continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) treatment […]
- The Association between Lung Hyperinflation and Coronary Artery Disease in Smokers.
Smokers manifest varied phenotypes of pulmonary impairment.Which pulmonary phenotypes are associated with […]
- The inflammatory profile of exacerbations in patients with severe refractory eosinophilic asthma receiving mepolizumab (the MEX study): a prospective observational study.
Clinical trials with mepolizumab, a humanised monoclonal antibody against interleukin-5, show a […]
- Long-term safety of lumacaftor-ivacaftor in children aged 2-5 years with cystic fibrosis homozygous for the F508del-CFTR mutation: a multicentre, phase 3, open-label, extension study.
A previous phase 3 study showed that lumacaftor-ivacaftor was generally safe and […]
- The COVID-19 puzzle: deciphering pathophysiology and phenotypes of a new disease entity.
The zoonotic SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19 continues to spread worldwide, with […]
- Loss of immune homeostasis in patients with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension.
Autoreactivity against pulmonary vascular structures is thought to be involved in idiopathic […]
- The effect of diet in infancy on asthma in young adults: the Merthyr Allergy Prevention Study.
Early infant diet might influence the risk of subsequent allergic disease.The Merthyr […]
- 3-month, 6-month, 9-month, and 12-month respiratory outcomes in patients following COVID-19-related hospitalisation: a prospective study.
The consequences of COVID-19 in those who recover from acute infection requiring […]
- Comparison of First Nations and non-First Nations children’s profiles with bronchiectasis over two five-year periods from the Northern Territory, Australia.
Although the burden of bronchiectasis is globally recognised, there is limited paediatric […]
- Effect of nusinersen on respiratory function in paediatric spinal muscular atrophy types 1-3.
Nusinersen is used in spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) to improve peripheral muscle […]
- Identification of distinct clinical subphenotypes in critically ill patients with COVID-19.
Subphenotypes have been identified in patients with sepsis and acute respiratory distress […]
- Interaction between Genetic Risk Scores for reduced pulmonary function and smoking, asthma and endotoxin.
Genome-wide association studies (GWASs) have identified numerous loci associated with lower pulmonary […]
- SPLUNC1: a novel marker of cystic fibrosis exacerbations.
Acute pulmonary Exacerbations (AE) are episodes of clinical worsening in cystic fibrosis […]
- The sputum microbiome and clinical outcomes in patients with bronchiectasis: a prospective observational study.
Infection is a key component of bronchiectasis pathophysiology. Characterisation of the microbiome […]
- Transbronchial mediastinal cryobiopsy in the diagnosis of mediastinal lesions: a randomised trial.
Guidelines recommend endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) as an initial investigation […]
- Kidney function and obstructive lung disease: a bidirectional Mendelian randomisation study.
Additional study is warranted to investigate the causal effects between kidney function […]
- Characterization of Aerosol Generation during Various Intensities of Exercise.
Characterization of aerosol generation during exercise can inform development of safety recommendations […]
- CT Findings and Patterns of Electronic Cigarette or Vaping Product Use-Associated Lung Injury (EVALI), A Multicenter Cohort of 160 Cases.
Electronic cigarette and vaping-induced lung injury (EVALI) causes a spectrum of CT […]
- Four-Month Rifapentine Regimens with or without Moxifloxacin for Tuberculosis.
Rifapentine-based regimens have potent antimycobacterial activity that may allow for a shorter […]
- Performance of an Electronic Decision Support System as a Therapeutic Intervention During a Multicenter PICU Clinical Trial: Heart and Lung Failure-Pediatric Insulin Titration trial (HALF-PINT).
The use of electronic clinical decision support (CDS) systems for pediatric critical […]
- Functional electrical stimulation-assisted cycle ergometry-based progressive mobility programme for mechanically ventilated patients: randomised controlled trial with 6 months follow-up.
Functional electrical stimulation-assisted cycle ergometry (FESCE) enables in-bed leg exercise independently of […]
- Predicting Lymph Node Metastasis in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Prospective External and Temporal Validation of the HAL and HOMER Models.
Two models, the Help with the Assessment of Adenopathy in Lung cancer […]
- Time to get serious about the detection and monitoring of early lung disease in cystic fibrosis.
Structural and functional defects within the lungs of children with cystic fibrosis […]
- Association of imbalance between job workload and functional ability with return to work in ARDS survivors.
Inability to return to work (RTW) is common after acute respiratory distress […]
- Gait speed and adverse outcomes following hospitalised exacerbation of COPD.
Four-metre gait speed (4MGS) is a simple physical performance measure and surrogate […]
- High-flow nasal cannula oxygen therapy for outpatients undergoing flexible bronchoscopy: a randomised controlled trial.
High-flow nasal cannula (HFNC) provides benefits to patients undergoing flexible bronchoscopy (FOB). […]
- Interleukin-6 receptor blockade in patients with COVID-19: placing clinical trials into context.
The pleiotropic cytokine interleukin-6 (IL-6) has been implicated in the pathogenesis of […]
- Involvement of CFTR in the pathogenesis of pulmonary arterial hypertension.
A reduction in pulmonary artery (PA) relaxation is a key event in […]
- Nocturnal hypoxaemia in interstitial lung disease: a systematic review.
Patients with interstitial lung disease (ILD) are at risk of developing nocturnal […]
- Pulmonary fibrosis 4 months after COVID-19 is associated with severity of illness and blood leucocyte telomere length.
The risk factors for development of fibrotic-like radiographic abnormalities after severe COVID-19 […]
- Relationship between heart failure and the risk of acute exacerbation of COPD.
Heart failure (HF) management in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is often […]
- The Berlin definition of acute respiratory distress syndrome: should patients receiving high-flow nasal oxygen be included?
The 2012 Berlin definition of acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) provided validated […]
- Delayed antibiotic prescribing for respiratory tract infections: individual patient data meta-analysis.
To assess the overall effect of delayed antibiotic prescribing on average symptom […]
- Shift work is associated with positive COVID-19 status in hospitalised patients.
Shift work is associated with lung disease and infections. We therefore investigated […]
- Tobacco smoking and risk for pulmonary fibrosis: A prospective cohort study in UK Biobank.
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is an interstitial lung disease with unknown etiology. […]
- Prophylaxis against covid-19: living systematic review and network meta-analysis.
To determine and compare the effects of drug prophylaxis on SARS-CoV-2 infection […]
- Towards understanding the effective use of antibiotics for sepsis.
The benefits of early antibiotics for sepsis have recently been questioned. Evidence […]
- Incidence and prognostic significance of hypoxemia in fibrotic interstitial lung disease: an international cohort study.
Hypoxemia is a cardinal feature of fibrotic interstitial lung disease (ILD). The […]
- Safety of thoracentesis and tube thoracostomy in patients with uncorrected coagulopathy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Thoracentesis and tube thoracostomy are common procedures with bleeding risks, but existing […]
- Clinical and Prognostic Impact of low DLco values in patients with GOLD I COPD.
The Global Initiative for Obstructive Lung Disease does not promote DLco values […]
- Inhibiting OX40 restores regulatory T cells function and suppresses inflammation in pulmonary sarcoidosis.
Pulmonary sarcoidosis (PS) is a non-caseating granulomatous disease with unknown etiology. Despite […]
- Avoid the Trap: Non-expanding Lung.
Non-expanding lung (NEL) is a mechanical complication in which part of the […]
- Mitigation of Aerosols Generated during Exercise Testing with a Portable High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filter with Fume Hood.
The role of portable High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters for supplemental aerosol […]
- Sleep in the Hospitalized Child: A contemporary review.
Acute illness and hospitalization introduce several risk factors for sleep disruption in […]
- Timing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis exposure explains variation in BCG effectiveness: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
The heterogeneity in efficacy observed in studies of BCG vaccination is not […]
- Stem Cell Therapy for COPD: Hope and Exploitation.
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a chronic inflammatory and destructive disease […]
- New forehead device in positional obstructive sleep apnoea: a randomised clinical trial.
Approximately 60% of the patients with obstructive sleep apnoea suffer from a […]
- Novel recessive locus for body mass index in childhood asthma.
Most genome-wide association studies of obesity and body mass index (BMI) have […]
- Psychometrics of HRQoL questionnaires in bronchiectasis: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
Understanding the psychometric properties of health related quality of life (HRQoL) questionnaires […]
- Recommendations for respiratory syncytial virus surveillance at national level.
Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a common cause of acute lower respiratory […]
- Risk of drug-induced interstitial lung disease in hospitalised patients: a nested case-control study.
Information on drug-induced interstitial lung disease (DILD) is limited due to its […]
- Transepithelial nasal potential difference in patients with, and at risk of acute respiratory distress syndrome.
Impaired alveolar fluid clearance, determined in part by alveolar sodium transport, is […]
- Circulating microbial cell-free DNA is associated with inflammatory host-responses in severe pneumonia.
Host inflammatory responses predict worse outcome in severe pneumonia, yet little is […]