- Effect of an Internet-Delivered Stepped-Care Program vs In-Person Cognitive Behavioral Therapy on Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Symptoms in Children and Adolescents: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
In most countries, young people with obsessive-compulsive disorder have limited access to […]
- Accuracy of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale Depression subscale (HADS-D) to screen for major depression: systematic review and individual participant data meta-analysis.
To evaluate the accuracy of the depression subscale of the Hospital Anxiety […]
- Mental health responses to the COVID-19 pandemic: a latent class trajectory analysis using longitudinal UK data.
The mental health of the UK population declined at the onset of […]
- Suicide and self-harm in adult survivors of critical illness: population based cohort study.
To analyse the association between survival from critical illness and suicide or […]
- Dismantling, optimising, and personalising internet cognitive behavioural therapy for depression: a systematic review and component network meta-analysis using individual participant data.
Internet cognitive behavioural therapy (iCBT) is a viable delivery format of CBT […]
- Cotard Syndrome in an Adolescent With a First Episode of Psychosis.
This case report describes a unique presentation of Cotard syndrome in an […]
- Crisis Intervention Psychotherapy in the Age of COVID-19.
Crisis intervention psychotherapy (CIP) is an underutilized form of therapy that can […]
- Feasibility of a Manualized Mindful Yoga Intervention for Patients With Chronic Mood Disorders.
Chronic mood disorders pose an important mental health problem. Individuals with these […]
- From Womb to Neighborhood: A Racial Analysis of Social Determinants of Psychosis in the United States.
The authors examine U.S.-based evidence that connects characteristics of the social environment […]
- Hearing Voices and Seeing Things: Symptoms of Anxiety Misconstrued as Evidence of Schizophrenia in an Adolescent.
A patient’s complaint of “hearing voices” or “seeing things” or of similar […]
- Improving Access to Psychotherapy: Implications of Wit Versus United Behavioral Health.
This column summarizes the verdict in the federal class action known as […]
- Objective and Subjective Perspectives on Implementation of a Violence Risk Screening Program in an Emergency Department.
The objective of this study was to use quantitative and qualitative data […]
- Reasons for Participation and Nonparticipation in Psychological Relapse Prevention for Anxiety and Depression: A Qualitative Study.
Anxiety and depressive disorders frequently recur, but participation in effective psychological interventions […]
- Sexually Predatory Behavior in an Adolescent Female.
This report describes a rare case of an adolescent female with a […]
- The Interface of COVID-19 and Inpatient Psychiatry: Our Experience and Lessons Learned.
The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic presented unprecedented challenges to the provision […]
- Therapeutic Risk Management for Violence: Chain Analysis of Other-directed Violent Ideation and Behavior.
Violence risk assessment is a requisite component of mental health treatment. Adhering […]
- Charting and Handling Genetic Test Results: How They Differ From Most Laboratory Results.
Genetic tests, unlike most other laboratory tests, are trait rather than state […]
- Commentary: Diagnostic Challenges in Evaluating Adolescents.
Three cases presented in this issue highlight diagnostic challenges in evaluating adolescents, […]
- Neurodevelopmental outcomes at age 5 among children born preterm: EPIPAGE-2 cohort study.
To describe neurodevelopment at age 5 among children born preterm.Population based cohort […]
- The role of epigenetics in psychological resilience.
There is substantial variation in people’s responses to adversity, with a considerable […]
- Association Between Age at Diabetes Onset and Subsequent Risk of Dementia.
Trends in type 2 diabetes show an increase in prevalence along with […]
- Functional Connectome Prediction of Anxiety Related to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Increased anxiety in response to the COVID-19 pandemic has been widely noted. […]
- Modification of Heritability for Educational Attainment and Fluid Intelligence by Socioeconomic Deprivation in the UK Biobank.
Socioeconomic factors have been suggested to influence the effect of education- and […]
- Neonatal Brain Response to Deviant Auditory Stimuli and Relation to Maternal Trait Anxiety.
Excessive response to unexpected or “deviant” stimuli during infancy and early childhood […]
- Sustained Effect of a Brief Video in Reducing Public Stigma Toward Individuals With Psychosis: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Young Adults.
Public stigma is a barrier to care and increases the duration of […]
- The Risk of Overdose With Concomitant Use of Z-Drugs and Prescription Opioids: A Population-Based Cohort Study.
The Z-drugs (zolpidem, zopiclone, zaleplon) are widely used to treat insomnia in […]
- Variable Emergence of Autism Spectrum Disorder Symptoms From Childhood to Early Adulthood.
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is currently considered an early-onset neurodevelopmental condition. Follow-up […]
- An active inference perspective on the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.
Predictive coding has played a transformative role in the study of psychosis, […]
- Long-acting injectable versus oral antipsychotics for the maintenance treatment of schizophrenia: a systematic review and comparative meta-analysis of randomised, cohort, and pre-post studies.
Evidence of comparative benefits of long-acting injectable antipsychotics (LAIs) versus oral antipsychotics […]
- Suicide trends in the early months of the COVID-19 pandemic: an interrupted time-series analysis of preliminary data from 21 countries.
The COVID-19 pandemic is having profound mental health consequences for many people. […]
- Trial of Psilocybin versus Escitalopram for Depression.
Psilocybin may have antidepressant properties, but direct comparisons between psilocybin and established […]
- Barriers and facilitators to implementing perinatal mental health care in health and social care settings: a systematic review.
The improvement of perinatal mental health formed part of WHO’s Millennium Development […]
- 6-month neurological and psychiatric outcomes in 236 379 survivors of COVID-19: a retrospective cohort study using electronic health records.
Neurological and psychiatric sequelae of COVID-19 have been reported, but more data […]
- Motivation and methods of external organisations investing in mental health in low-income and middle-income countries: a qualitative study.
Mental disorders (including substance use disorders, dementia, and self-harm) account for a […]
- Mood Disorders and Outcomes of COVID-19 Hospitalizations.
The authors sought to characterize the association between prior mood disorder diagnosis […]
- ‘Living in a Zoom world’: Survey mapping how COVID-19 is changing family therapy practice in the UK.
Following the COVID-19 pandemic, psychological therapies rapidly moved online in mid-2020. The […]
- Maternal depressive and anxiety symptoms before and during the COVID-19 pandemic in Canada: a longitudinal analysis.
Parents have faced substantial social and economic challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic. […]
- Comparative efficacy of interventions for reducing symptoms of depression in people with dementia: systematic review and network meta-analysis.
To describe the comparative efficacy of drug and non-drug interventions for reducing […]
- Change Mechanisms in Brief Interpersonal Psychotherapy for Women With Perinatal Depression: Qualitative Study.
Brief interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT-B) has been shown to be effective in treating […]
- Recent Developments in Group Psychotherapy Research.
This article reviews group psychotherapy research published within the past 30 years, […]
- Register-based metrics of years lived with disability associated with mental and substance use disorders: a register-based cohort study in Denmark.
Mental disorders account for a substantial proportion of the years lived with […]
- Gene-environment correlations and causal effects of childhood maltreatment on physical and mental health: a genetically informed approach.
Childhood maltreatment is associated with poor mental and physical health. However, the […]
- Effect of Experimental Manipulation of the Orbitofrontal Cortex on Short-Term Markers of Compulsive Behavior: A Theta Burst Stimulation Study.
Compulsive behaviors are a core feature of obsessive-compulsive spectrum disorders but appear […]
- Sleep Abnormalities in Schizophrenia: State of the Art and Next Steps.
Sleep disturbances are commonly observed in schizophrenia, including in chronic, early-course, and […]
- Synthesizing the Evidence for Ketamine and Esketamine in Treatment-Resistant Depression: An International Expert Opinion on the Available Evidence and Implementation.
Replicated international studies have underscored the human and societal costs associated with […]
- Whole Brain White Matter Tract Deviation and Idiosyncrasy From Normative Development in Autism and ADHD and Unaffected Siblings Link With Dimensions of Psychopathology and Cognition.
The heterogeneity of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder […]
- Sleepy Psychotherapists: How Clinicians’ Biological Factors May Affect the Conduct of Psychotherapy.
Numerous therapist variables and cognitive biases can affect the quality of the […]
- Combining behavioral harm-reduction treatment and extended-release naltrexone for people experiencing homelessness and alcohol use disorder in the USA: a randomised clinical trial.
The rate of alcohol-related mortality in people experiencing homelessness and alcohol use […]
- Changes in soft drinks purchased by British households associated with the UK soft drinks industry levy: controlled interrupted time series analysis.
To determine changes in household purchases of drinks and confectionery one year […]
- The hidden burden of eating disorders: an extension of estimates from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.
Anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa are the only eating disorders included in […]
- Consistency of the Antidepressant Effect of Intranasal Esketamine in Phase 3 Clinical Trials.
This column reviews the development of intranasal esketamine with particular emphasis on […]
- Efficacy of Intravenous Ketamine in Adolescent Treatment-Resistant Depression: A Randomized Midazolam-Controlled Trial.
Adolescent depression is prevalent and is associated with significant morbidity and mortality. […]
- Examining and Modulating Neural Circuits in Psychiatric Disorders With Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation and Electroencephalography: Present Practices and Future Developments.
Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a noninvasive brain stimulation technique uniquely equipped […]
- Impact of the KCNQ2/3 Channel Opener Ezogabine on Reward Circuit Activity and Clinical Symptoms in Depression: Results From a Randomized Controlled Trial.
Preclinical studies point to the KCNQ2/3 potassium channel as a novel target […]
- Improving Psychiatric Care Through Integrated Digital Technologies.
This manuscript provides an overview of our efforts to implement an integrated […]
- Moving Forward While Standing Still: A Case of Mental Health Advocacy Evolving in the Time of COVID-19.
There have been shifts over time in the value placed on long-term […]
- Pilot Study of a Brief Sleep Intervention for Suicidal Ideation in Bipolar Disorder.
We investigated the feasibility and acceptability of a brief sleep intervention and […]
- Postviral Depression.
A previously healthy 68-year-old man rapidly developed a severe melancholic depression following […]
- Sentencing offenders with mental disorders, developmental disorders or neurological impairments: what does the new Sentencing Council Guideline mean for psychiatrists?
The new Sentencing Council Guideline on sentencing offenders with mental disorders, effective […]
- Suspected Recurrence of Symptomatic COVID-19: Management During Inpatient Psychiatric Treatment.
The widespread prevalence of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) means that inpatient psychiatric […]