- Arthroscopic labral repair for femoroacetabular impingement: A systematic review.
The present systematic review investigated return to sport, patient reported outcome measures […]
- Barbed suture in gastro-intestinal surgery: A review with a meta-analysis.
The laparoscopic approach is a very popular technique for many gastrointestinal operations […]
- Percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation in patients with severe low anterior resection syndrome: randomized clinical trial.
Treatment of low anterior resection syndrome (LARS) is challenging. Percutaneous tibial nerve […]
- Prognostic grade for resecting hepatocellular carcinoma: multicentre retrospective study.
Surgical treatment for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is advancing, but a robust prediction […]
- Prophylactic nipple-sparing mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction: results of a French prospective trial.
Nipple-sparing mastectomy (NSM) with immediate breast reconstruction (IBR) is used increasingly when […]
- Reinforced versus standard stapler transection on postoperative pancreatic fistula in distal pancreatectomy: multicentre randomized clinical trial.
Postoperative pancreatic fistula is the leading cause of morbidity after distal pancreatectomy. […]
- Carbon tattooing for targeted lymph node biopsy after primary systemic therapy in breast cancer: prospective multicentre TATTOO trial.
Several techniques for targeted lymph node biopsy in patients with node-positive breast […]
- Systematic review on reporting of components and outcomes in randomized clinical trials of paraoesophageal hernia mesh repair.
Surgical interventions, such as paraoesophageal hernia (POH) repair, are complex with multiple […]
- Colorectal anastomotic leak: transcriptomic profile analysis.
Anastomotic leakage in patients undergoing colorectal surgery is associated with morbidity and […]
- Systemic versus Oral and Systemic Antibiotic Prophylaxis (SOAP) study in colorectal surgery: prospective randomized multicentre trial.
There is no consensus regarding the role of mechanical bowel preparation (MBP) […]
- Cost-effectiveness of immediate total-body CT in patients with severe trauma (REACT-2 trial).
The effect of immediate total-body CT (iTBCT) on health economic aspects in […]
- Highly selective diversion with proactive leakage management after low anterior resection for rectal cancer.
In this single center case series with nine percent primary diversion, 86 […]
- Immune cell infiltration in colonic cancer: correlation between biopsy and surgical specimens.
Infiltration of CD3+ and CD8+ T cells in tumour biopsies of patients […]
- Impact of early biochemical diagnosis of anastomotic leakage after rectal cancer surgery: long-term results from GRECCAR 5 trial.
A raised C-reactive protein level should be used to prompt early detection […]
- Interventions for great saphenous vein reflux: network meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.
A variety of endovascular and open surgical interventions exist to treat great […]
- Laparoscopic versus open resection of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: nationwide analysis.
The relevance of laparoscopic resection of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma (ICC) remains debated. The […]
- Long-term outcomes of lobectomy for papillary thyroid carcinoma with high-risk features.
Lobectomy is not advocated for papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC) with high-risk features, […]
- Nationwide study of surgery for primary infected abdominal aortic and common iliac artery aneurysms.
Primary infected aneurysms of the abdominal aorta and iliac arteries are potentially […]
- Survival Outcomes After Portal Vein Embolization and Liver Resection Compared With Liver Transplant for Patients With Extensive Colorectal Cancer Liver Metastases.
Portal vein embolization (PVE) has been implemented in patients with extensive colorectal […]
- Clinical Trials of Systemic Chemotherapy for Resectable Pancreatic Cancer: A Review.
Adjuvant chemotherapy is the standard of care for resected pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma […]
- Outcomes of a Specialized Clinic on Rates of Investigation and Treatment of Primary Aldosteronism.
Primary aldosteronism (PA) is one of the most common causes of secondary […]
- Indocyanine green fluorescence angiography versus standard intraoperative methods for prevention of anastomotic leak in colorectal surgery: meta-analysis.
Assessment of anastomotic blood perfusion with intraoperative indocyanine green fluorescence angiography (ICG-FA) […]
- Learning curves in minimally invasive hepatectomy: systematic review and meta-regression analysis.
Minimally invasive hepatectomy (MIH) has become an important option for the treatment […]
- Lessons from lockdown: Virtual Clinics and service reorganisation in fracture management during COVID 19 experience of an Irish Regional Trauma Unit.
Trauma places a burden on healthcare services accounting for a large proportion […]
- A meta-epidemiological study of bias in randomized clinical trials of open and laparoscopic surgery.
Blinding, random sequence generation, and allocation concealment are established strategies to minimize […]
- The introduction of day-case total knee arthroplasty in a national healthcare system: A review of the literature and development of a hospital pathway.
As we now drive to reinitiate our full capacity elective services in […]
- Use of Telehealth by Surgical Specialties During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
While telehealth use in surgery has shown to be feasible, telehealth became […]
- The efficacy of remote virtual care in comparison to traditional clinical visits for elective orthopaedic patients: A meta-analysis of prospective randomised controlled trials.
The Orthopaedic Trauma Association has recommended limitation of in-person encounters to absolute […]
- A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial: No Clear Benefit to Prophylactic Central Neck Dissection in Patients With Clinically Node Negative Papillary Thyroid Cancer.
The aim of this prospective randomized-controlled trial was to evaluate the risks/benefits […]
- African Americans Struggle With the Current COVID-19.
Our study aims to explore the differential impact of this pandemic on […]
- American Surgical Association Statement of Solidarity on Condemning and Eliminating Racism.
The American Surgical Association Council prepared the submitted statement in response to […]
- Bridging the age gap in breast cancer: cluster randomized trial of the effects of two decision support interventions for older women with operable breast cancer on quality of life, survival, decision quality, and treatment choices.
Rates of surgery and adjuvant therapy for breast cancer vary widely between […]
- Bridging the age gap in breast cancer: impact of omission of breast cancer surgery in older women with oestrogen receptor-positive early breast cancer on quality-of-life outcomes.
Primary endocrine therapy may be an alternative treatment for less fit women […]
- COVID-19 infection risk by open and laparoscopic surgical smoke: A systematic review of the literature.
The current COVID-19 pandemic has greatly changed the way surgery is delivered. […]
- Effect of Intrawound Vancomycin Powder in Operatively Treated High-risk Tibia Fractures: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
Despite the widespread use of systemic antibiotics to prevent infections in surgically […]
- Is It Safe to Manage Acute Cholecystitis Nonoperatively During Pregnancy?: A Nationwide Analysis of Morbidity According to Management Strategy.
To compare cholecystectomy (CCY) and nonoperative treatment (no-CCY) for acute cholecystitis in […]
- Prevalence and Nature of Sexist and Racial/Ethnic Microaggressions Against Surgeons and Anesthesiologists.
Workplace mistreatment can manifest as microaggressions that cause chronic, severe distress. As […]
- SARS-CoV-2 Is Present in Peritoneal Fluid in COVID-19 Patients.
The excretion pathomechanisms of SARS-CoV-2 are actually unknown. No certain data exist […]
- SARS-CoV-2 vaccination modelling for safe surgery to save lives: data from an international prospective cohort study.
Preoperative SARS-CoV-2 vaccination could support safer elective surgery. Vaccine numbers are limited […]
- Situating Artificial Intelligence in Surgery: A Focus on Disease Severity.
Artificial intelligence (AI) has numerous applications in surgical quality assurance. We assessed […]
- A Framework for Understanding the Association Between Training Paradigm and Trainee Preparedness for Independent Surgical Practice.
The sociopolitical and cultural context of graduate surgical education has changed considerably […]
- Faecal immunochemical testing in symptomatic patients to prioritize investigation: diagnostic accuracy from NICE FIT Study.
This study investigated whether a quantitative faecal immunochemical test (FIT) could be […]
- Single-port laparoscopic appendicectomy versus conventional three-port approach for acute appendicitis: A systematic review, meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis of randomised controlled trials.
The aim of this systematic review and meta-analysis is to compare outcomes […]
- Low-pressure versus standard pressure laparoscopic colorectal surgery (PAROS trial): a phase III randomized controlled trial.
This is a phase III, double-blind, randomized, controlled trial.In this trial, patients […]
- Neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy or chemotherapy alone for oesophageal cancer: population-based cohort study.
Although both neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy (nCRT) and chemotherapy (nCT) are used as neoadjuvant […]
- Breast Angiosarcoma Surveillance Study: UK national audit of management and outcomes of angiosarcoma of the breast and chest wall.
Breast angiosarcomas are rare tumours of vascular origin. Secondary angiosarcoma occurs following […]
- Centralized repeated resectability assessment of patients with colorectal liver metastases during first-line treatment: prospective study.
Metastasectomy is probably underused in metastatic colorectal cancer. The aim of this […]
- Oncological outcomes of laparoscopic versus open rectal cancer resections: meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.
The role of laparoscopic rectal cancer surgery has been questioned owing to […]
- Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on management and outcomes in acute appendicitis: Should these new practices be the norm?
In early 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic significantly altered management of surgical patients […]
- Effect of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic on mortality related to high-risk emergency and major elective surgery.
These data show large reductions in both elective and emergency activity that […]
- Effect of centralization and regionalization of pancreatic surgery on resection rates and survival.
Centralization of pancreatic surgery in the Netherlands has been ongoing since 2011. […]
- Random pattern hatchet flap as a reconstructive tool in the treatment of pressure sores: clinical experience with 36 patients.
Pressure sores represent a reconstructive challenge, and the high recurrence rate and […]
- Sarcopenia as a predictor of postoperative risk of complications, mortality and length of stay following gastrointestinal oncological surgery.
Sarcopenia has drawn considerable attention as a predictor of postoperative risk, although […]
- Splenogonadal fusion: aiding detection and avoiding radical orchidectomy.
Splenogonadal fusion is a rare benign congenital anomaly in which there is […]
- The current status of daycase hip and knee arthroplasty within the English National Health Service: a retrospective analysis of hospital episode statistics data.
A high volume of total hip, total knee and unicompartmental knee arthroplasty […]
- Increased range of motion but otherwise similar clinical outcome of arthroscopy over open osteoplasty for femoroacetabular impingement at midterm follow-up: A systematic review.
A systematic review was conducted comparing patient reported outcomes measures (PROMs), functional […]
- A retrospective comparative study of robotic distal pancreatectomy with or without splenic vessel and spleen preservation.
Robotic distal pancreatectomy has been accepted to be safe and effective for […]
- Assessment of the Frequency of Dual Allergy to Penicillins and Cefazolin: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
Cefazolin is the preoperative antibiotic of choice because it is safer and […]
- Association Between Anesthesiologist Volume and Short-term Outcomes in Complex Gastrointestinal Cancer Surgery.
Intraoperative anesthesiology care is crucial to high-quality surgical care. The clinical expertise […]
- Morbidity and Mortality of Patients Who Underwent Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy After Neoadjuvant Chemoradiotherapy vs Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Locally Advanced Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
Safety and efficacy of neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy (nCRT) vs neoadjuvant chemotherapy (nCT) for […]