- The effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on non-elective otolaryngology admissions and a positive change in clinical practice.
As the COVID-19 pandemic progressed across the UK and Northern Ireland in […]
- An unusual presentation of synchronous bladder metastases from an oesophageal adenocarcinoma.
Adenocarcinoma of the bladder is a rare form of malignancy accounting for […]
- Variations in origin of the superior thyroid artery: an update for the head and neck surgeon.
Head and neck surgeons must have a thorough knowledge of head and […]
- Concurrent thyrolipomatosis and thymolipoma in a patient with myasthenia gravis: a case report and review of the literature.
We present a case of a man with a background of myasthenia […]
- What does the SRS-22 outcome measure tell us about spinal deformity surgery for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis in the UK?
The purpose of this study was to analyse SRS-22 outcomes measures recorded […]
- Safety of emergency, elective and day case operating during the winter period at East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust: lessons from the outcomes of 4,254 surgical patients from the first COVID-19 wave.
There is limited evidence on perioperative outcomes of surgical patients during the […]
- The Colorectal Telephone Clinic: a new normal post-COVID-19?
In light of the COVID-19 recommendations from the Association of Coloproctology of […]
- Safety and feasibility of resuming bariatric surgery under the cloud of COVID-19.
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, numerous bariatric surgical units globally have halted […]
- Tracheomalacia after thyroidectomy for retrosternal goitres requiring sternotomy- a myth or reality?
Tracheomalacia after thyroidectomy is not well understood. Reports on tracheomalacia are conflicting, […]
- Ludwig’s angina in Nigeria: The disease of the poor and health inequality!
highlight the health inequality and identify opportunities to improve the care delivered […]
- Atypical facial presentation of subcutaneous fat necrosis of the newborn.
Subcutaneous fat necrosis of the newborn (SCFN) is a rare self-limiting panniculitis. […]
- Mini-invasive bilateral transfacet screw fixation with reconstruction of the neural arch for lumbar stenosis: A two centre case series.
Lumbar stenosis and instability frequently coexist. Spinal canal decompression is often combined […]
- Emergency hip disarticulations for severe necrotising fasciitis of the lower limb: a series of rare cases from a rural district general hospital.
Hip disarticulation is the removal of the entire lower limb through the […]
- Anterior cervical osteophytes causing dysphagia and dyspnoea.
A 75-year-old man presents to his general practitioner (GP) with dyspnoea, and […]
- National Evaluation of Surgical Resident Grit and the Association With Wellness Outcomes.
Grit, defined as perseverance and passion for long-term goals, is predictive of […]
- Outcomes of primary and recurrent inguinal hernia repair with prosthetic mesh in a single region over 15 years.
Sutured inguinal hernia repairs are now uncommon, with evidence suggesting that those […]
- Characteristics of Early-Onset vs Late-Onset Colorectal Cancer: A Review.
The incidence of early-onset colorectal cancer (younger than 50 years) is rising […]
- Introducing day case thyroid lobectomy at a tertiary head and neck centre.
Thyroid lobectomy is considered to be a safe day case procedure by […]
- Assessing the performance and learning curve of orthopaedic surgical trainees in primary total hip arthroplasty.
The aims of this study were threefold: first, to review the surgical […]
- Chyle leak following total colectomy for ulcerative colitis: a case report and review of the literature.
Chyle leak is a rare complication in colorectal surgery. It occurs due […]
- Burnout within UK surgical specialties: a systematic review.
Burnout is of growing concern within the surgical workforce, having been shown […]
- Adapting an emergency general surgery service in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, our emergency general surgery (EGS) service […]
- Appendicitis in the COVID-19 era: a modern challenge for experienced hands.
The first wave of COVID-19 was accompanied by global uncertainty. Delayed presentation […]
- Cycling injuries requiring orthopaedic intervention during the first COVID-19 lockdown period: A multi-centre SCottish Orthopaedic Research collaborativE (SCORE) study.
The COVID-19 lockdown resulted in decreased vehicle use and an increased uptake […]
- Prospective Evaluation of a Tiered Opioid Prescribing Guideline for Inpatient Colorectal Operations.
This study sought to prospectively validate an institutional prescribing guideline based on […]
- Financial Incentives to Improve Patient Follow-Up and Weight Loss After Bariatric Surgery.
To examine effects of a financial incentives program on follow-up and weight […]
- Gender Bias in the Evaluation of Surgical Performance: Results of a Prospective Randomized Trial.
The study aims to determine the influence of trainee gender on assessments […]
- Defining Surgical Difficulty of Liver Transplantation.
To define technically difficult liver transplantation (Diff-LT).Currently, there is no acknowledged definition […]
- Measuring and Improving Emotional Intelligence in Surgery: A Systematic Review.
Evaluate how emotional intelligence (EI) has been measured among surgeons and to […]
- Robot-Assisted Versus Conventional Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy for Resectable Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Early Results of a Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial: the RAMIE Trial.
To compare perioperative and long-term outcomes of robot-assisted minimally invasive esophagectomy (RAMIE) […]
- Inter-rater Agreement of the Classification of Intra-operative Adverse Events (ClassIntr®) in Abdominal Surgery.
Adverse events in surgical patients can occur pre-operatively, intra-operatively and post-operatively. Universally […]
- Identification of SLC38A7 as a Prognostic Marker and Potential Therapeutic Target of Lung Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
No effective molecular targeted therapy has been established for squamous cell lung […]
- Effect of Perioperative Intravenous iron Supplementation for Complex Cardiac Surgery on Transfusion Requirements: A Randomized, Double-Blinded Placebo-Controlled Trial.
We investigated whether routine perioperative intravenous iron replenishment reduces the requirement for […]
- Distal Bile Duct Cancer: Radical (R0 >1 mm) Resection Achieves Favorable Survival.
Evaluation of the outcome after resection for distal bile duct cancer (DBC) […]
- Evidence-based Guidelines on the Use of Virtual Surgical Education Pertaining to the Domains of Cognition and Curriculum, Psychomotor Skills Training, and Faculty Development and Mentorship.
The Association for Surgical Education formed an ad-hoc research group to evaluate […]
- Native Spleen Preservation During Visceral Transplantation Inhibits Graft-Versus-Host-Disease Development: Clinical and Experimental Study.
We aimed to assess whether native spleen preservation during VT affects GVHD […]
- Core outcome set for surgical trials in gastric cancer (GASTROS study): international patient and healthcare professional consensus.
Surgery is the primary treatment that can offer potential cure for gastric […]
- Risk Prediction Model of 90-Day Mortality After Esophagectomy for Cancer.
Ninety-day mortality rates after esophagectomy are an indicator of the quality of […]
- Voucher-Based Kidney Donation and Redemption for Future Transplant.
Policy makers, transplant professionals, and patient organizations agree that there is a […]
- Association of Clinical Complications of Chemotherapy and Patient-Reported Outcomes After Immediate Breast Reconstruction.
Women undergoing immediate breast reconstruction often require chemotherapy. The effects of chemotherapy […]
- Diagnosing surgical site infections using telemedicine: A Systematic Review.
Surgical site infections (SSI) are preventable post-operative complications. With the increase in […]
- Long-term Efficacy of Neoadjuvant Chemoradiotherapy Plus Surgery for the Treatment of Locally Advanced Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma: The NEOCRTEC5010 Randomized Clinical Trial.
The prognosis of patients with locally advanced esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC) […]
- Surgical data recording in the operating room: a systematic review of modalities and metrics.
Operating room recording, via video, audio and sensor-based recordings, is increasingly common. […]
- Outcome of neoadjuvant treatment for pancreatic cancer in elderly patients: comparative, observational cohort study.
Use of neoadjuvant therapy for elderly patients with pancreatic cancer has been […]
- Complications after medullary thyroid carcinoma surgery: multicentre study of the SQRTPA and EUROCRINE® databases.
Surgery is the curative therapy for patients with medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC). […]
- Depacked patients who underwent a shortened perihepatic packing for severe blunt liver trauma have a high survival rate: 20 years of experience in a level I trauma center.
Non-operative management is currently the preferred approach in blunt liver trauma, including […]
- Poor patient awareness of peripheral arterial disease, it is time to optimize the clinical visit.
Peripheral arterial disease (PAD) is a growing public health burden. The development […]
- Laparoscopic lavage for perforated diverticulitis in the LapLav study: population-based registry study.
The standard treatment for Hinchey III perforated diverticulitis with peritonitis was resection […]
- Global health diplomacy: Provision of specialist medical services in the Republic of Botswana.
Global Health Diplomacy (GHD) can be defined as the convergence between public […]
- Impact of STIMUlant and osmotic LAXatives (STIMULAX trial) on gastrointestinal recovery after colorectal surgery: randomized clinical trial.
Recovery of gastrointestinal (GI) function is often delayed after colorectal surgery. Enhanced […]
- Challenges in surgical video annotation.
Annotation of surgical video is important for establishing ground truth in surgical […]
- A Game of Adaptability: Reflecting on the Highlights & Challenges of Applying for Surgical Residency During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Virtual recruitment of candidates applying into General Surgery residency during the COVID-19 […]
- Early Drain Removal is Safe in Patients With Low or Intermediate Risk of Pancreatic Fistula After Pancreaticoduodenectomy: A Multicenter, Randomized Controlled Trial.
This multi-center randomized controlled trial (RCT) was designed to test the hypothesis […]
- NPWT Resource Use Compared With Conventional Wound Treatment in Subcutaneous Abdominal Wounds With Healing Impairment After Surgery: SAWHI Randomized Clinical Trial Results.
To compare resource utilization of NPWT and CWT for SAWHI after surgery.NPWT […]
- Surgical Residents at the Forefront of the COVID-19 Pandemic: Perspectives on Redeployment.
The COVID-19 pandemic has led many of us to re-evaluate our approaches […]
- Survival Comparison Between Open and Thoracoscopic Upfront Esophagectomy in Patients with Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
The survival outcomes of patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC) after […]
- A Novel and Generic Workflow of Indocyanine Green Perfusion Assessment Integrating Standardization and Quantification Towards Clinical Implementation.
This study aims to generate a reproducible and generalizable Workflow model of […]
- Association of Rideshare Use With Alcohol-Associated Motor Vehicle Crash Trauma.
Motor vehicle crashes (MVCs) are an important public health concern. Recent trends […]
- IMPACT of COVID-19 on hip fracture services: A global survey by the International Multicentre Project Auditing COVID-19 in Trauma & Orthopaedics.
The Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic resulted in major disruption to hip […]
- Tissue sealant versus surgical drain following parotidectomy.
Sialocele and salivary fistula are recognised complications of parotid surgery and have […]