- Association between proton pump inhibitor use and gastric cancer: a population-based cohort study using two different types of nationwide databases in Korea.
The association between proton pump inhibitor (PPI) use and gastric cancer related […]
- Human and preclinical studies of the host-gut microbiome co-metabolite hippurate as a marker and mediator of metabolic health.
Gut microbial products are involved in regulation of host metabolism. In human […]
- Severity of gastric intestinal metaplasia predicts the risk of gastric cancer: a prospective multicentre cohort study (GCEP).
To investigate the incidence of gastric cancer (GC) attributed to gastric intestinal […]
- The optimal age to stop endoscopic surveillance of Barrett’s esophagus patients based on sex and comorbidity: a comparative cost-effectiveness analysis.
Current guidelines recommend surveillance for non-dysplastic Barrett’s esophagus (NDBE) patients but do […]
- Apatinib as second-line or later therapy in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (AHELP): a multicentre, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.
Inhibition of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor (VEGFR) has shown antitumour activity […]
- Glucocorticoids and androgens protect from gastric metaplasia by suppressing group 2 innate lymphoid cell activation.
The immune compartment is critical for maintaining tissue homeostasis. A weak immune […]
- Evaluation of hepatitis C treatment-as-prevention within Australian prisons (SToP-C): a prospective cohort study.
Limited empirical evidence exists for the effectiveness of hepatitis C virus (HCV) […]
- Surveillance of patients with cirrhosis remains suboptimal in the United States.
Regular monitoring/surveillance for liver complications is crucial in the management of patients […]
- Dysregulation of the ESRP2-NF2-YAP/TAZ axis promotes hepatobiliary carcinogenesis in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD), the hepatic correlate of the metabolic syndrome, […]
- Immunoglobulin A-specific deficiency induces spontaneous inflammation specifically in the ileum.
Although immunoglobulin A (IgA) is abundantly expressed in the gut and known […]
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a multisystem disease requiring a multidisciplinary and holistic approach.
Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is a public health problem worldwide. This […]
- Global burden of acute viral hepatitis and its association with socioeconomic development status, 1990-2019.
Acute viral hepatitis (AVH) represents an important global health problem; however, the […]
- Glutaminolysis-induced mTORC1 activation drives non-alcoholic steatohepatitis progression.
A holistic insight on the relationship between obesity and metabolic dysfunction-associated fatty […]
- Resolution of hepatitis E virus infection in CD8+ T cell depleted rhesus macaques.
HEV is a significant cause of acute hepatitis globally. Some genotypes establish […]
- Sugar-sweetened beverage intake in adulthood and adolescence and risk of early-onset colorectal cancer among women.
Sugar-sweetened beverage (SSB) consumption had substantially increased across successive US birth cohorts […]
- EGF and BMPs govern differentiation and patterning in human gastric glands.
The homeostasis of the gastrointestinal epithelium relies on cell regeneration and differentiation […]
- International consensus to standardise histopathological scoring for small bowel strictures in Crohn’s disease.
Effective medical therapy and validated trial outcomes are lacking for small bowel […]
- The times they are a-changing – A refined proposal for finite HBV nucleos(t)ide analog therapy.
Although discontinuation of nucleos(t)ide analogue (NA) treatment before HBsAg loss is part […]
- Liver transplantation for patients with acute-on-chronic liver failure (ACLF) in Europe: results of the ELITA/EF-CLIF collaborative study (ECLIS).
Liver transplantation (LT) has been proposed to be an effective salvage therapy […]
- Approach to the management of recently diagnosed inflammatory bowel disease patients: a user’s guide for adult and pediatric gastroenterologists.
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), including Crohn’s disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC), […]
- TGF-β signaling in Liver, Pancreas, and Gastrointestinal Diseases and Cancer.
Genetic alterations affecting transforming growth factor β (TGF-β) signaling are exceptionally common […]
- Current knowledge and management of portal vein thrombosis in cirrhosis.
Portal vein thrombosis (PVT) is a complication of cirrhosis that is being […]
- Genetic and epigenetic characteristics of inflammatory bowel disease associated colorectal cancer.
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a chronic relapsing inflammatory disorder associated with […]
- Interplay between diet and gut microbiome, and circulating concentrations of trimethylamine N-oxide: findings from a longitudinal cohort of US men.
Gut-produced trimethylamine N-oxide (TMAO) is postulated as a possible link between red […]
- Standards for the provision of antenatal care for patients with inflammatory bowel disease: guidance endorsed by the British Society of Gastroenterology and the British Maternal and Fetal Medicine Society.
Pregnant women with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) are at increased risk of […]
- TET2 drives 5hmc marking of GATA6 and epigenetically defines pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma transcriptional subtypes.
Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) is characterised by advanced disease stage at presentation, […]
- Ursodeoxycholic acid in intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy: a systematic review and individual participant data meta-analysis.
Ursodeoxycholic acid is commonly used to treat intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy, yet […]
- Health service usage and re-referral rates: comparison of a dietitian-first clinic with a medical specialist-first model of care in a cohort of gastroenterology patients.
The dietitian-first gastroenterology clinic (DFGC) is an expanded scope of practice initiative […]
- IBD in pregnancy: recent advances, practical management.
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) poses complex issues in pregnancy, but with high-quality […]
- Laparoscopic versus open pancreatoduodenectomy for pancreatic or periampullary tumours: a multicentre, open-label, randomised controlled trial.
The benefit and safety of laparoscopic pancreatoduodenectomy (LPD) for the treatment of […]
- Obesity management for the gastroenterologist.
Obesity has reached epidemic levels in the United Kingdom. Obesity is associated […]
- Data from a large Western centre exploring the impact of COVID-19 pandemic on endoscopy services and cancer diagnosis.
The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed healthcare across the world. Efforts have […]
- Specialist inflammatory bowel disease nursing in the UK: current situation and future proofing.
To determine the impact to date of the ongoing Crohn’s & Colitis […]
- Steroid use and misuse: a key performance indicator in the management of IBD.
Corticosteroids remain an important tool for inducing remission in inflammatory bowel disease […]
- Venting issues.
Introduction: A 65-year-old woman with type 3 intestinal failure secondary to scleroderma […]
- British Society of Gastroenterology guidelines on the management of irritable bowel syndrome.
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) remains one of the most common gastrointestinal disorders […]
- Development and evaluation of a novel protective device for upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in the COVID-19 pandemic: the EBOX.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, aerosol-generating procedures such as upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (UGIE) […]
- Infliximab is associated with attenuated immunogenicity to BNT162b2 and ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 SARS-CoV-2 vaccines in patients with IBD.
Delayed second dose SARS-CoV-2 vaccination trades maximal effectiveness for a lower level […]
- Integrative study of diet-induced mouse models of NAFLD identifies PPARα as a sexually dimorphic drug target.
We evaluated the influence of sex on the pathophysiology of non-alcoholic fatty […]
- Bacterial infections adversely influence the risk of decompensation and survival in compensated cirrhosis.
Prognosis of compensated cirrhosis is good until decompensation. In decompensated cirrhosis, bacterial […]
- COVID-19-related health anxieties and impact of specific interventions in patients with inflammatory bowel disease in the UK.
Health-related concerns brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic and the impact of […]
- Esophageal afferent innervation and its role in gastro-esophageal reflux disease symptoms.
Despite the wide prevalence of gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD), the neurophysiological mechanisms […]
- MondoA-TXNIP axis maintains regulatory T cell identity and function in colorectal cancer microenvironment.
The metabolic features and function of intratumoral Tregs are ambiguous in colorectal […]
- Multidisciplinary management of perianal Crohn’s disease.
Multiple new medications with novel mechanisms of action are now available to […]
- Open versus laparoscopic surgery for mid or low rectal cancer after neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy (COREAN trial): 10-year follow-up of an open-label, non-inferiority, randomised controlled trial.
Laparoscopic surgery has been widely used for rectal cancer; however, its long-term […]
- A diffusion-like process accommodates new crypts during clonal expansion in human colonic epithelium.
Colorectal cancer (CRC) is thought to arise when the cumulative mutational burden […]
- Colonic Motility is Improved by the Activation of 5-HT2B Receptors on Interstitial Cells of Cajal in Diabetic Mice.
Constipation is commonly associated with diabetes. Serotonin (5-HT), produced predominantly by enterochromaffin […]
- Non-food prebiotic, probiotic, and synbiotic use has increased in U.S. adults and children from 1999 to 2018.
Public interest in pre- , pro-, and synbiotic products is increasing because […]
- Tumor secreted extracellular vesicles regulate T-cell costimulation and can be manipulated to induce tumor specific T-cell responses.
Colorectal Cancer is a major cause of cancer-related deaths worldwide. Immune checkpoint […]
- A pilot study of Golexanolone, a new GABA-A receptor modulating steroid antagonist, in patients with covert hepatic encephalopathy.
Golexanolone is a novel small molecule GABA-A receptor modulating steroid antagonist under […]
- Genome-wide analysis of 944 133 individuals provides insights into the etiology of haemorrhoidal disease.
Haemorrhoidal disease (HEM) affects a large and silently suffering fraction of the […]
- Impact of alcohol on the progression of HCV-related liver disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
Despite a marked reduction in new cases of liver cirrhosis caused by […]
- Low immunogenicity to SARS-CoV-2 vaccination among liver transplant recipients.
Two SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccines were approved to prevent COVID-19 infection, with reported […]
- Disease-specific eQTL screening reveals an anti-fibrotic effect of AGXT2 in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) poses an impending clinical burden. Genome-wide association […]
- Falls are common, morbid, and predictable in patients with cirrhosis.
Falls are a devastating complication of cirrhosis. The risk of falls in […]
- FOSL1 promotes cholangiocarcinoma via transcriptional effectors that could be therapeutically targeted.
Cholangiocarcinoma (CCA) is a neoplasia of the biliary tract driven by genetic, […]
- Hepatic lipidomic remodeling in severe obesity manifests with steatosis and does not evolve with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.
Obesity often leads to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), which can progress […]
- How extent of Barrett’s metaplasia influences the risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma.
This review will focus on how the extent of Barrett’s metaplasia influences […]
- The role of magnetic sphincter augmentation in the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease.
Magnetic sphincter augmentation (MSA) has been designed as a less disruptive and […]
- Clinical utility of 30% relative decline in MRI-PDFF in predicting fibrosis regression in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
Emerging data suggest that a 30% relative decline in liver fat, as […]