- Estimating global prevalence of metabolic dysfunction-associated fatty liver disease in overweight or obese adults.
Metabolic dysfunction-associated fatty liver disease (MAFLD) is a new terminology updated from […]
- Ethics of providing clinically assisted nutrition and hydration: current issues.
The provision of clinically assisted nutrition and hydration (CANH) often presents clinicians […]
- Evaluation of a primary to secondary care referral pathway and novel nurse-led one-stop clinic for patients with suspected non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) affects approximately one in four adults of […]
- Five-year Efficacy and Safety of Ustekinumab Treatment in Crohn’s Disease: the IM-UNITI trial.
The IM-UNITI study and long-term extension (LTE) evaluated the long-term efficacy, safety, […]
- Guideline review: Tofacitinib for adults with moderately to severely active ulcerative colitis – NICE guidance.
Tofacitinib is an oral, Janus kinase (JAK) molecule, which selectively inhibits Janus-associated […]
- Incidence, pattern and severity of abnormal liver blood tests among hospitalised patients with SARS-COV2 (COVID-19) in South Wales.
SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) is a novel coronavirus that emerged in Wuhan, China in […]
- Inflammatory bowel disease psychological support pilot reduces inflammatory bowel disease symptoms and improves psychological wellbeing.
This prospective service evaluation aimed to determine if integrated psychological support for […]
- Outcomes and adverse factors for endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) of colorectal polyps in elderly patients.
Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) is an invaluable technique, however it is associated […]
- Outcomes of precut sphincterotomy techniques in cases of difficult biliary access.
Our study aims to define success and complication rates of precut sphincterotomy […]
- Patient Preferences for Hepatocellular Carcinoma Surveillance Parameters.
Professional societies recommend abdominal ultrasound (US) with or without alpha fetoprotein (AFP) […]
- The Colonic Mucosal MicroRNAs, MicroRNA-219a-5p and MicroRNA-338-3p, are Downregulated in Irritable Bowel Syndrome and are Associated with Barrier Function and MAPK signaling.
Alterations in microRNA (miRNA) and in the intestinal barrier are putative risk […]
- Adenoma Detection Rate (ADR) Irrespective of Indication is Comparable to Screening ADR: Implications for Quality Monitoring.
Adenoma detection rate (ADR) is a key measure of colonoscopy quality. However, […]
- The gut microbiome: what every gastroenterologist needs to know.
The mucosal surfaces of the body are characterised by complex, specialised microbial […]
- Tunnelled peritoneal drainage catheter placement for the palliative management of refractory ascites in patients with liver cirrhosis.
Refractory ascites is an established indication for liver transplantation. While transplantation is […]
- Bile formation and Secretion: An update.
Bile formation is a fundamental physiological process that is vital to the […]
- Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection (ESD) in North America: A Large Prospective Multicenter Study.
Endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) in Asia has been shown to be superior […]
- Interleukin-20 exacerbates acute hepatitis and bacterial infection by downregulating IκBζ target genes in hepatocytes.
Interleukin-20 (IL-20) and IL-22 belong to the IL-10 family. IL-10 is a […]
- An international consensus to standardize integration of histopathology in ulcerative colitis clinical trials.
Histopathology is an emerging treatment target in ulcerative colitis (UC) clinical trials. […]
- Acute-on-chronic liver failure: update on pathogenesis, therapeutic targets, predictive models, and liver transplantation.
Acute-on-chronic liver failure (ACLF) is a clinical syndrome in patients with chronic […]
- Systemic manifestations – do not forget the small bowel.
Systemic diseases can afflict the small bowel (SB) but be challenging to […]
- Safety and efficacy of hydrothermal duodenal mucosal resurfacing in patients with type 2 diabetes: the randomised, double-blind, sham-controlled, multicentre REVITA-2 feasibility trial.
Hydrothermal duodenal mucosal resurfacing (DMR) is a safe, outpatient endoscopic procedure. REVITA-2, […]
- Peutz-Jeghers syndrome.
Peutz-Jeghers syndrome is a rare, autosomal dominant, hereditary polyposis syndrome defined by […]
- Small bowel radiology.
Recent advances in computed tomography (CT), ultrasound (US), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), […]
- Gut mucosa alterations and loss of segmented filamentous bacteria in type 1 diabetes are associated with inflammation rather than hyperglycaemia.
Type 1 diabetes (T1D) is an autoimmune disease caused by the destruction […]
- Multiomics analysis reveals the presence of a microbiome in the gut of fetal lambs.
Microbial exposure is critical to neonatal and infant development, growth and immunity. […]
- Mortality, reoperation and hospital stay within 90 days of primary and secondary antireflux surgery in a population-based multinational study.
Absolute rates and risk factors of short-term outcomes after antireflux surgery remain […]
- Transient Elastography Accurately Screens for Compensated Advanced Chronic Liver Disease in Patients with Ongoing or Recent Alcohol Withdrawal.
Liver stiffness measurement by transient elastography (TE) is a promising method for […]
- Common mental disorders in irritable bowel syndrome: pathophysiology, management, and considerations for future randomised controlled trials.
The frequent co-occurrence of irritable bowel syndrome and the common mental disorders […]
- Identification of an Anti-Integrin αvβ6 Autoantibody in Patients with Ulcerative Colitis.
Ulcerative colitis is the most frequent type of inflammatory bowel disease and […]
- Prevention and treatment of nutritional complications after bariatric surgery.
Obesity and the corresponding burden of related diseases is a major public […]
- Adaptations in gastrointestinal physiology after sleeve gastrectomy and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
Linked to the growing obesity epidemic, demand for bariatric and metabolic surgery […]
- Antiviral therapy in the palliative setting of HCC (BCLC B and C).
The potential impact of direct-acting antivirals (DAAs) in patients with Barcelona Clinic […]
- UTILITY AND COST-EFFECTIVENESS OF A NON-ENDOSCOPIC APPROACH TO BARRETT’S ESOPHAGUS SURVEILLANCE AFTER ENDOSCOPIC THERAPY.
A non-endoscopic approach to Barrett’s esophagus (BE) surveillance after radiofrequency ablation (RFA) […]
- In Esophageal Squamous Cells from Eosinophilic Esophagitis Patients, Th2 Cytokines Increase Eotaxin-3 Secretion through Effects on Intracellular Calcium and a Non-Gastric Proton Pump.
In upper airway cells, Th2 cytokines that signal through IL-4 receptor alpha […]
- Microbial community heterogeneity within colorectal neoplasia and its correlation with colorectal carcinogenesis.
Gut microbial dysbiosis has pivotal involvement in colorectal cancer (CRC). However, the […]
- Oncogenetic landscape of lymphomagenesis in coeliac disease.
Enteropathy-associated T-cell lymphoma (EATL) is a rare but severe complication of coeliac […]
- Validation of the Lyon classification for GORD diagnosis: acid exposure time assessed by prolonged wireless pH monitoring in healthy controls and patients with erosive oesophagitis.
Acid exposure time (AET) from ambulatory pH studies and reflux oesophagitis are […]
- A structurally optimized FXR agonist, MET409, reduced liver fat content over 12 weeks in patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.
Farnesoid X receptor (FXR) agonists have been validated to benefit patients with […]
- Colorectal Cancer Incidence after Colonoscopy at Ages 45-49 or 50-54 Years.
Colorectal cancer (CRC) incidence at ages <50 years is increasing, leading to […]
- Diagnosis and management of secondary causes of steatohepatitis.
The term non-alcoholic liver disease (NAFLD) was originally coined to describe hepatic […]
- Functional Restoration of Bacteriomes and Viromes by Fecal Microbiota Transplantation.
Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) is an effective therapy for recurrent Clostridioides difficile […]
- TBX3 functions as a tumor suppressor downstream of activated CTNNB1 mutants during hepatocarcinogenesis.
Gain of function (GOF) mutation of CTNNB1 gene is one of the […]
- Established and novel therapeutic options for autoimmune hepatitis.
Autoimmune hepatitis is an immune-mediated disorder characterised by hypergammaglobulinaemia, autoantibodies, and interface […]
- Inflammatory cell-derived CXCL3 promotes pancreatic cancer metastasis through a novel myofibroblast-hijacked cancer escape mechanism.
Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) is the most lethal malignancy and lacks effective […]
- Magnesium accumulation upon cyclin M4 silencing activates microsomal triglyceride transfer protein improving NASH.
Perturbations of intracellular magnesium (Mg2+) homeostasis have implications for cell physiology. The […]
- Hepatitis B virus integrations promote local and distant oncogenic driver alterations in hepatocellular carcinoma.
Infection by HBV is the main risk factor for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) […]
- Autoimmune susceptibility gene PTPN2 is required for clearance of adherent-invasive Escherichia coli by integrating bacterial uptake and lysosomal defence.
Alterations in the intestinal microbiota are linked with a wide range of […]
- EASL position paper on the use of COVID-19 vaccines in patients with chronic liver diseases, hepatobiliary cancer and liver transplant recipients.
According to a recent World Health Organization estimate, the severe acute respiratory […]
- Prostaglandin E2 receptor PTGER4-expressing macrophages promote intestinal epithelial barrier regeneration upon inflammation.
Dysfunctional resolution of intestinal inflammation and altered mucosal healing are essential features […]
- Rapid gut dysbiosis induced by stroke exacerbates brain infarction in turn.
Stroke is a leading cause of death and disability worldwide. Neuroprotective approaches […]
- End-points in clinical trials for liver cancer and their value in evidence based clinical decision making: an unresolved Gordian knot.
Design and execution of clinical trials use definitions and criteria to permit […]
- Spatial Evolution of Histologic and Endoscopic Healing in Left and Right Colon in Patients with Ulcerative Colitis.
Despite increasing interest in histologic remission as a treatment target in ulcerative […]
- Characterization of Prevalent, Post-Endoscopy, and Incident Esophageal Cancer in the United States: A Large Retrospective Cohort Study.
Efforts to assess and improve the effectiveness of Barrett’s esophagus (BE) screening […]
- Endoscopic phenotype of the J pouch in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: A new classification for pouch outcomes.
Pouchitis is a common complication of ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA) in patients […]
- Feasibility and safety of tethered capsule endomicroscopy in patients with Barrett’s esophagus in a multi-center study.
Tethered capsule endomicroscopy (TCE) involves swallowing small tethered pill that implements optical […]
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis-Associated Pouchitis: A Distinct Clinical Phenotype.
Patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC) commonly undergo ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA) […]
- Transient elastography assessed hepatic steatosis and fibrosis are associated with body composition in the United States.
We examined transient elastography assessed hepatic steatosis and fibrosis distributions and relationships […]
- Abbreviated MRI for hepatocellular carcinoma screening: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
Biannual ultrasound (US) has poor sensitivity in screening of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). […]
- SARS-CoV-2 infection in acute pancreatitis increases disease severity and 30-day mortality: COVID PAN collaborative study.
There is emerging evidence that the pancreas may be a target organ […]
- FOXA3 induction under endoplasmic reticulum stress contributes to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
Chronic ER stress in liver have been shown to play a causative […]