- ADMINISTRATION OF VALPROIC ACID IN CLINICALLY APPROVED DOSE IMPROVES NEUROLOGIC RECOVERY AND DECREASES BRAIN LESION SIZE IN SWINE SUBJECTED TO HEMORRHAGIC SHOCK AND TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY.
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and hemorrhage remain the leading causes of death […]
- EVALUATION OF THE EFFICACY OF COMMERCIAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL TOURNIQUETS FOR EXTREMITY HEMORRHAGE CONTROL IN A PERFUSED CADAVER MODEL.
Tourniquets are a critical tool in the immediate response to life-threatening extremity […]
- Current challenges in military trauma readiness: Insufficient relevant surgical case volumes in military treatment facilities.
The management of battlefield trauma requires a specific skill set, which is […]
- Impact of uric acid on liver injury and intestinal permeability following resuscitated hemorrhagic shock in rats.
Multiorgan failure is a consequence of severe ischemia-reperfusion injury after traumatic hemorrhagic […]
- Downstream hospital system effects of a comprehensive trauma recovery services program.
Trauma patients are often noted to have poor compliance but high recidivism […]
- Duration of symptoms is the only predictor of testicular salvage following testicular torsion in children: A case-control study.
Testicular torsion (TT) is an emergency requiring a prompt diagnosis and surgery […]
- Bed bugs are associated with anemia.
Bed bugs are hematophagous insects that can be problematic in some urban […]
- Bacteriology of pediatric breast abscesses beyond the neonatal period.
Limited data exist regarding the presentation and bacteriology of nonneonatal pediatric breast […]
- Identifying opportunities for health promotion and intervention in the ED.
ED staff assess patients with modifiable risk factors for acute and chronic […]
- Evaluating the Association between AAST Emergency General Surgery Anatomic Severity Grades and Clinical Outcomes Using National Claims Data.
Emergency General Surgery (EGS) encompasses a heterogenous population of acutely ill patients, […]
- DISTINCT IMMUNOLOGIC ENDOTYPES ARE ASSOCIATED WITH CLINICAL TRAJECTORY AFTER SEVERE BLUNT TRAUMA AND HEMORRHAGIC SHOCK.
The genomic/cytokine “storm” after severe trauma is well described. However, the differing […]
- Development and verification of a predictive nomogram to evaluate the risk of complicating ventricular tachyarrhythmia after acute myocardial infarction during hospitalization: A retrospective analysis.
The purpose of this study was to establish a nomogram to predict […]
- Therapeutical plasma exchange for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura in the emergency department: A single center experience.
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) is a rare, life-threatening and easily misdiagnosed thrombotic […]
- Diagnostic accuracy of point-of-care lung ultrasound in COVID-19.
A promising modality for diagnosing pulmonary manifestations of COVID-19 in the emergency […]
- Characteristics of frequent paediatric users of emergency departments in England: an observational study using routine national data.
Frequent attendances of the same users in emergency departments (ED) can intensify […]
- Effect of an Emergency Department Care Bundle on 30-Day Hospital Discharge and Survival Among Elderly Patients With Acute Heart Failure: The ELISABETH Randomized Clinical Trial.
Clinical guidelines for the early management of acute heart failure in the […]
- Improving Quality of Care Through a Mandatory Provincial Audit Program: Ontario’s Emergency Department Return Visit Quality Program.
The Emergency Department Return Visit Quality Program was launched in Ontario, Canada, […]
- Should age be incorporated into the adult triage algorithm in the emergency department?
To compare resource utilization and mortality between older and younger adult patients […]
- Factors associated with hospitalization for ischemic stroke and TIA following an emergency department headache visit.
Misdiagnosis of cerebrovascular disease among Emergency Department (ED) patients with headache has […]
- Association between COVID-19 diagnosis and presenting chief complaint from New York City triage data.
New York City (NYC) is an epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic in […]
- Pharmacologic Modulation of Brain Metabolism by Valproic Acid can Induce a Neuroprotective Environment.
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a leading cause of trauma-related morbidity and […]
- Hypocalcemia in trauma patients: a systematic review.
During hemorrhagic shock and subsequent resuscitation, pathways reliant upon calcium such as […]
- Difficult intravenous access in the emergency department: Performance and impact of ultrasound-guided IV insertion performed by nurses.
Difficult intravenous access (DIVA) is a common problem in Emergency Departments (EDs), […]
- Advanced reperfusion strategies for patients with out-of-hospital cardiac arrest and refractory ventricular fibrillation (ARREST): a phase 2, single centre, open-label, randomised controlled trial.
Among patients with out-of-hospital cardiac arrest (OHCA) and ventricular fibrillation, more than […]
- Association of air temperature with pediatric intussusception in northeastern China: A 10-year retrospective study.
The aim of this study was to determine whether an association existed […]
- Barrier enclosure use during aerosol-generating medical procedures: A scoping review.
Barrier enclosure devices were introduced to protect against infectious disease transmission during […]
- The cases not seen: Patterns of emergency department visits and procedures in the era of COVID-19.
Prior data suggest Emergency Department (ED) visits for many emergency conditions decreased […]
- Identifying patients with symptoms suspicious for COVID-19 at elevated risk of adverse events: The COVAS score.
Develop and validate a risk score using variables available during an Emergency […]
- Use of effective contraception following provision of the progestogen-only pill for women presenting to community pharmacies for emergency contraception (Bridge-It): a pragmatic cluster-randomised crossover trial.
Unless women start effective contraception after oral emergency contraception, they remain at […]
- Effect of Implementing the Out-of-Hospital Traumatic Brain Injury Treatment Guidelines: The Excellence in Prehospital Injury Care for Children Study (EPIC4Kids).
We evaluate the effect of implementing the out-of-hospital pediatric traumatic brain injury […]
- The influence of coronavirus disease 2019 on emergency department visits in Nanjing, China: A multicentre cross-sectional study.
Influenza has been linked to the crowding in emergency departments (ED) across […]
- UK healthcare staff experiences and perceptions of a mass casualty terrorist incident response: a mixed-methods study.
System learning from major incidents is a crucial element of improving preparedness […]
- Clinically relevant adverse cardiovascular events in intermediate heart score patients admitted to the hospital following a negative emergency department evaluation.
Study objective: To estimate the frequency of clinically relevant adverse cardiac events […]
- Assessment of ED triage of anaphylaxis patients based on the Emergency Severity Index.
To describe the emergency department (ED) triage of anaphylaxis patients based on […]
- Secondary transfer of emergency stroke patients eligible for mechanical thrombectomy by air in rural England: economic evaluation and considerations.
Mechanical thrombectomy (MT) is a time-sensitive emergency procedure for patients who had […]
- Technical factors associated with first-pass success during endotracheal intubation in children: analysis of videolaryngoscopy recordings.
First-pass success (FPS) during intubation is associated with lower morbidity for paediatric […]
- Agreement and predictive value of the Rockwood Clinical Frailty Scale at emergency department triage.
To determine the agreement and predictive value of emergency department (ED) triage […]
- Smartphone evaluation of postero-anterior chest x-rays: An inter-observer study.
Posterior-anterior chest x-ray (PA-CXR) is among the most commonly used imaging methods […]
- Language preference does not influence stroke patients’ symptom recognition or emergency care time metrics.
Our objective was to determine whether acute ischemic stroke (AIS) patients’ language […]
- After a century, Epinephrine’s role in cardiac arrest resuscitation remains controversial.
Epinephrine is recommended in contemporary educational efforts by the American Heart Association […]
- Hybrid emergency room shows maximum effect on trauma resuscitation when used in patients with higher severity.
The Hybrid emergency room (ER) system is a novel trauma workflow that […]
- Intravenous Haloperidol Versus Ondansetron for Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome (HaVOC): A Randomized, Controlled Trial.
Little is known about the cause or optimal treatment of hyperemesis in […]
- Screening for Health-Related Social Needs of Emergency Department Patients.
There has been increasing attention to screening for health-related social needs. However, […]
- Mental health in hospital emergency departments: cross-sectional analysis of attendances in England 2013/2014.
To describe the population of patients who attend emergency departments (ED) in […]
- Lactate/albumin ratio: An early prognostic marker in critically ill patients.
We investigate the clinical utility of the lactate/albumin (L/A) ratio as an […]
- Multi-centered evaluation of a novel fixed-dose four-factor prothrombin complex concentrate protocol for warfarin reversal.
Previous studies have shown fixed-dose 4PCC to be as effective as standard-dose […]
- Controlled observational study and economic evaluation of the effect of city-centre night-time alcohol intoxication management services on the emergency care system compared with usual care.
Alcohol intoxication management services (AIMS) provide an alternative care pathway for alcohol-intoxicated […]
- Pulse oximeter plethysmograph waveform and automated oscillometric sphygmomanometer for ankle-brachial index measurement.
There are limited non-invasive methods to assess lower extremity arterial injuries in […]
- Unscheduled Care Access in the United States-A Tale of Two Emergency Departments.
Rural communities face challenges in accessing healthcare services due to physician shortages […]
- Association between prehospital prognostic factors and out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: Effect of rural-urban disparities.
Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest (OHCA) is associated with a poor prognosis and a […]
- Hollow adrenal gland sign on dual-phase contrast-enhanced CT in critically ill patients with sepsis.
We aimed to describe the clinical manifestations of patients with sepsis who […]
- Reverse shock index multiplied by Glasgow coma scale as a predictor of massive transfusion in trauma.
Previous studies have identified that the reverse shock index multiplied by the […]
- First and last authorship by gender in emergency medicine publications- a comparison of 2008 vs. 2018.
Recently, investigators reported that there remain substantial disparities in the proportion of […]
- Physician assistant and nurse practitioner utilization in U.S. emergency departments, 2010 to 2017.
Physician Assistants (PAs) and Nurse Practitioners (NPs) are widely utilized in United […]
- Emergence of Extended-Spectrum β-Lactamase Urinary Tract Infections Among Hospitalized Emergency Department Patients in the United States.
Enterobacteriaceae resistant to ceftriaxone, mediated through extended-spectrum β-lactamases (ESBLs), commonly cause urinary […]
- A model for rapid emergency department expansion for the COVID-19 pandemic.
COVID-19 has caused global dramatic change in medical practices including the introduction […]
- The management of the poisoned patient using a novel emergency department-based resuscitation and critical care unit (ResCCU).
The Resuscitation & Critical Care Unit (ResCCU) is a novel ED-based ICU […]
- Diaphragmatic excursion measurement in emergency department patients with acute dyspnea to predict mechanical ventilation use.
Ultrasound is a feasible and reproducible method for measuring right diaphragmatic excursion […]
- Injury rates per mile of travel for electric scooters versus motor vehicles.
This study determined the vehicle-miles-traveled (VMT)-based injury rate for stand-up, dockless electric […]
- A multifaceted intervention improves antibiotic stewardship for skin and soft tissues infections.
Assess the effectiveness of a multifaceted stewardship intervention to reduce frequency and […]