- Managing acute uncomplicated appendicitis in frail geriatric patients: A second hit may be too much.
Studies have proposed the use of antibiotics only in cases of acute […]
- National estimates of intestinal ostomy creation and reversal for trauma.
Intestinal ostomy creation after trauma is selectively indicated for destructive colon and […]
- Time to operating room matters in modern management of pancreatic injuries: A national review on the management of adult pancreatic injury at Canadian level 1 trauma centers.
Pancreatic injuries are rare, difficult to diagnose, and complex to manage despite […]
- Adverse Events Among Emergency Department Patients With Cardiovascular Conditions: A Multicenter Study.
We aim to determine incidence and type of adverse events (adverse outcomes […]
- Analgesic refractory colic pain: Is prolonged conservative management appropriate?
To propose a clear definition and management pathway of patients with analgesic […]
- Descriptive analysis of prostatitis in the emergency department.
Prostatitis is one of the most common urologic diseases in ambulatory patients. […]
- The Use of Tranexamic Acid to Reduce the Need for Nasal Packing in Epistaxis (NoPAC): Randomized Controlled Trial.
Epistaxis is a common emergency department (ED) presentation and, if simple first […]
- Optimal sessions of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in patients with carbon monoxide poisoning: A prospective observational study.
Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) therapy may be a useful treatment to prevent the […]
- Characteristics of patients who had a stroke not initially identified during emergency prehospital assessment: a systematic review.
Around 25% of patients who had a stroke do not present with […]
- Tissue adhesives for peripheral intravenous catheter securement: A prospective randomized controlled pilot trial.
In some patients securing the peripheral intravenous cannula (PIVC) with a standard […]
- When to Stay Out of the Abdomen: Extending Extra-peritoneal Approaches to Complex Ventral and Incisional Hernias: A VIDEO BASED GUIDE TO THE TECHNIQUE.
Ventral and incisional hernias are common surgical pathologies managed by acute care […]
- Frail Geriatric Patients With Acute Calculous Cholecystitis: Operative Vs. Nonoperative Management?
Nonoperative management of acute calculous cholecystitis (ACC) in the frail geriatric population […]
- Genome-wide landscape of mRNAs, microRNAs, lncRNAs, and circRNAs in hemorrhagic shock-induced ALI/ARDS in rats.
Hemorrhagic shock (HS) can develop into multiple organ dysfunction syndrome (MODS), among […]
- Geospatial assessment of helicopter emergency medical service overtriage.
Despite evidence of benefit after injury, helicopter emergency medical services (HEMS) overtriage […]
- Injury Severity and Hospital Resource Utilization: A Review of Current Trauma Triage Activation Criteria.
Despite major improvements in the United States trauma system over the past […]
- Is a chest radiograph indicated after chest tube removal in trauma patients? A systematic review.
The aim of this systematic review was to assess the necessity of […]
- IS CEREBRAL PERFUSION MAINTAINED DURING FULL AND PARTIAL REBOA IN HEMORRHAGIC SHOCK CONDITIONS?
Partial resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta (pREBOA) is a technology […]
- Isolated traumatic brain injury: Routine intubation for GCS 7 or 8 may be harmful!
Despite strong recommendations, there is no direct evidence supporting routine intubation of […]
- Long-term Patient-Reported Outcomes and Patient-Reported Outcome Measures after Injury: The National Trauma Research Action Plan (NTRAP) Scoping Review.
The aim of this scoping review is to identify and summarize patient-reported […]
- Never-Frozen Liquid Plasma Transfusion in Civilian Trauma: A Nationwide Propensity-Matched Analysis.
Never-frozen liquid plasma (LQP) was found to reduce component waste, decrease healthcare […]
- POST-TBI ANTITHROMBIN III RECOVERS MORRIS WATER MAZE COGNITIVE PERFORMANCE, IMPROVING CUED AND SPATIAL LEARNING.
Neuroinflammation and cerebral edema development following severe TBI affect subsequent cognitive recovery. […]
- Pseudo-safety in a cohort of patients with COVID-19 discharged home from the emergency department.
EDs are often the first line of contact with individuals infected with […]
- Risk Factors for Abdominal Surgical Site Infection after Exploratory Laparotomy among Combat Casualties.
Surgical site infections (SSI) are well-recognized complications after exploratory laparotomy for abdominal […]
- A Comprehensive Analysis of Undertriage in a Mature Trauma System Using Geospatial Mapping.
The correct triage of trauma patients to trauma centers (TCs) is essential. […]
- The efficacy of continuous use disposable N95 masks in clinical practice in the emergency department.
During the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, many emergency departments (EDs) initiated continuous use of […]
- Association Between Access to Pediatric Trauma Care and Motor Vehicle Crash Death in Children: An Ecologic Analysis of United States Counties.
Access to pediatric trauma care is highly variable across the United States […]
- The Impact of Pre-Hospital TXA on Mortality among Bleeding Trauma Patients: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
Tranexamic acid (TXA) is an antifibrinolytic drug associated with improved survival among […]
- Bang for the Buck: The Impact of Political Financial Contributions on Firearm Law.
100,000 Americans are shot annually and 39,000 die. State laws restricting firearm […]
- Variation in Neurosurgical Intervention for Severe TBI: The Challenge of Measuring Quality in Trauma Center Verification.
Intracranial pressure monitor (ICPm) procedure rates are a quality metric for American […]
- Emergency scalpel cricothyroidotomy use in a prehospital trauma service: a 20-year review.
This study aimed to determine the rate of scalpel cricothyroidotomy conducted by […]
- Bed downtime: the novel use of a quality metric allows inpatient providers to improve patient flow from the emergency department.
Emergency department (ED) boarding time is associated with increased length of stay […]
- Effects of sleepiness on clinical decision making among paramedic students: a simulated night shift study.
Paramedics are at the forefront of emergency healthcare. Quick and careful decision […]
- Impact of videolaryngoscopy introduction into prehospital emergency medicine practice: a quality improvement project.
Advanced airway management is necessary in the prehospital environment and difficult airways […]
- Assessment of benzodiazepine dosing strategies for the management of status epilepticus in the emergency department.
Although guidelines recommend specific benzodiazepine doses for the treatment of generalized convulsive […]
- Assessment of the SpO2/FiO2 ratio as a tool for hypoxemia screening in the emergency department.
We assessed the performance of the ratio of peripheral arterial oxygen saturation […]
- Association of resident characteristics with patterns of patient self-assignment.
We hypothesized that resident characteristics impact patterns of patient self-assignment in the […]
- Severity of diagnosis among patients with chest pain presenting to the emergency department after calling a nurse line.
A Nurse Line (NL) is a resource that is commonly used by […]
- Association of ischemia modified albumin with mortality in qSOFA positive sepsis patients by sepsis-3 in the emergency department.
The early detection and treatment of sepsis and septic shock patients in […]
- Bypassing out-of-hospital cardiac arrest patients to a regional cardiac center: Impact on hemodynamic parameters and outcomes.
Current guidelines recommend systematic care for patients who experience out-of-hospital cardiac arrest […]
- Comparison of MPL-ANN and PLS-DA models for predicting the severity of patients with acute pancreatitis: An exploratory study.
Acute pancreatitis (AP) is a common inflammatory disorder that may develop into […]
- Mind the caretaker: ED referrals of community-dwelling older adult patients by their primary caregivers are accurate.
ED referral of older adults on the initiative of their family or […]
- Prognostic value of admission serum magnesium in acute myocardial infarction complicated by malignant ventricular arrhythmias.
Although electrolyte abnormalities are related to worse clinical outcomes in patients with […]
- The effect of mild hypercapnia on hospital mortality after cardiac arrest may be modified by chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
The main objective was to evaluate the effect of carbon dioxide on […]
- Between Emergency Department Visits: The Role of Harm Reduction Programs in Mitigating the Harms Associated With Injection Drug Use.
Injection drug use is a major public health problem in the United […]
- Elevated Blood Pressures Are Common in the Emergency Department but Are They Important? A Retrospective Cohort Study of 30,278 Adults.
We determine the frequency of elevated blood pressure (BP) readings in the […]
- Emergency department methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus nare screen effect on pneumonia treatment duration.
The objective of this study was to determine if performing a methicillin-resistant […]
- Regional variation in outcomes and healthcare resources utilization in, emergency department visits for syncope.
Management of patients with syncope lacks standardization. We sought to assess regional […]
- Treatment of suspected sepsis and septic shock in children with chronic disease seen in the pediatric emergency department.
Research demonstrates that timely recognition and treatment of sepsis can significantly improve […]
- An assessment of treatment, transport, and refusal incidence in a National EMS’s routine work during COVID-19.
COVID-19 created lifestyle changes, and induced a fear of contagion affecting people’s […]
- Current management of moderate to severe traumatic pneumothoraces: a survey of emergency clinicians.
Traumatic pneumothoraces are present in one-fifth of multiple trauma victims. Traditional teaching […]
- Efficacy of a new dispatcher-assisted cardiopulmonary resuscitation protocol with audio call-to-video call transition.
Video call based dispatcher-assisted cardiopulmonary resuscitation (V-DACPR) has been suggested to improve […]
- Examining emergency medical services’ prehospital transport times for trauma patients during COVID-19.
Longer prehospital times were associated with increased odds for survival in trauma […]
- Lay-rescuers in drowning incidents: A scoping review.
Many victims of drowning fatalities are lay-people attempting to rescue another. This […]
- NLR and CRP to albumin ratio as a predictor of in-hospital mortality in the geriatric ED patients.
We aimed to investigate the role of neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio (NLR) […]
- Remodelling of a regional emergency hub in response to the COVID-19 outbreak in Emilia-Romagna.
Emilia-Romagna was one of the most affected Italian regions during the COVID-19 […]
- Validation of a new method for saliva cortisol testing to assess stress in first responders.
Acute or chronic stress can lead to physical and mental disorders. Measuring […]
- Euglycemic diabetic ketoacidosis associated with SGLT2i use: Case series.
Euglycemic diabetic ketoacidosis (EuDKA) associated with Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter-2 inhibitor (SGLT2i) use has […]
- Garlic burn injuries- a systematic review of reported cases.
Medicinal plants have many beneficial effects on human health. Garlic (Allium sativum, […]
- Prognostic significance of emergency department modified early warning score trend in critical ill elderly patients.
To explore the relationship between trends in emergency department modified early warning […]
- Efficacy of topical capsaicin for the treatment of cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome: A retrospective cohort study.
Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS) is a clinical disorder characterized by abdominal pain […]