- Nociception-monitor-guided opioid administration in radical retropubic prostatectomy: a randomised controlled trial.
This RCT investigated the effect of opioid titration by three different nociception […]
- Association between plasma tau and postoperative delirium incidence and severity: a prospective observational study.
Postoperative delirium is associated with increases in the neuronal injury biomarker, neurofilament […]
- Non-invasive haemoglobin measurement as an index test to detect pre-operative anaemia in elective surgery patients – a prospective study.
Non-invasive haemoglobin measurement using absolute values lacks the precision to be the […]
- Oxytocin at elective caesarean delivery: a dose-finding study in women with obesity.
Prophylactic oxytocin administration at the third stage of labour reduces blood loss […]
- Intraoperative opioids are associated with improved recurrence-free survival in triple-negative breast cancer.
Opioid-induced immunomodulation may be of particular importance in triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) […]
- Socioeconomic deprivation and long-term outcomes after elective surgery: analysis of prospective data from two observational studies.
Socioeconomic deprivation is associated with health inequalities. We explored relationships between socioeconomic […]
- Temporal trends in the incidence of post-dural puncture headache following labor neuraxial analgesia in the United States, 2006 to 2015.
Labor neuraxial analgesia utilization has increased in the United States (U.S.) but […]
- A systematic review of the association between postpartum depression and neuraxial labor analgesia.
Postpartum depression (PPD) is the most common complication after childbirth, affecting 10-15% […]
- Epidural analgesia, intrapartum hyperthermia, and neonatal brain injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Epidural analgesia is associated with intrapartum hyperthermia, and chorioamnionitis is associated with […]
- Reducing the dose of neuromuscular blocking agents with adjuncts: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Acute global shortages of neuromuscular blocking agents (NMBA) threaten to impact adversely […]
- Minimising exposure to droplet and aerosolised pathogens: a computational fluid dynamics study.
Hazardous pathogens are spread in either droplets or aerosols produced during aerosol-generating […]
- Intelligent checklists improve checklist compliance in the intensive care unit: a prospective before-and-after mixed-method study.
We examined whether a context and process-sensitive ‘intelligent’ checklist increases compliance with […]
- The Haemostasis Traffic Light, a user-centred coagulation management tool for acute bleeding situations: a simulation-based randomised dual-centre trial.
The Haemostasis Traffic Light is a cognitive aid with a user-centred design […]
- Infant isoflurane exposure affects social behaviours, but does not impair specific cognitive domains in juvenile non-human primates.
Clinical studies show that children exposed to anaesthetics for short times at […]
- Routinely collected data and patient-centred research in anaesthesia and peri-operative care: a narrative review.
Randomised controlled trials are the gold standard in clinical research, but remain […]
- PROSPECT guideline for tonsillectomy: systematic review and procedure-specific postoperative pain management recommendations.
Tonsillectomy is one of the most frequently performed surgical procedures; however, pain […]
- Subcutaneous fentanyl for labour analgesia: a retrospective case note review.
In 2017, a South Australia Perinatal Practice Guideline was introduced state-wide for […]
- Obstructive sleep apnea is associated with adverse maternal outcomes using a United States multistate database cohort, 2007-2014.
Obstructive sleep apnea affects approximately 11% of women of reproductive age, although […]
- Association between cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers of neuronal injury or amyloidosis and cognitive decline after major surgery.
Postoperative neurocognitive decline is a frequent complication in adult patients undergoing major […]
- Continuous Intrathecal Morphine Infusion for Pain Management in a Polytrauma Patient: A Case Report.
Polytrauma patients are at high risk for neurologic complications as a result […]
- 100% Nitrous Oxide in the Oxygen Line: How Could This Happen in a Modern Anesthesia Machine?
The inadvertent crossover between O2 and N2O pipelines has become extremely rare […]
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Therapy After Amniotic Fluid Embolism With Undetectable ROTEM FIBTEM Activity: A Case Report.
Amniotic fluid embolism (AFE) is a rare but devastating condition with mortality […]
- Exploring the limits of prolonged apnoea with high-flow nasal oxygen: an observational study.
High-flow nasal oxygen is increasingly used for oxygenation during apnoea. Extending apnoea […]
- Drugs for preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting in adults after general anaesthesia: an abridged Cochrane network meta-analysis‡§.
Postoperative nausea and vomiting is a common adverse effect of anaesthesia. Although […]
- Project for Universal Management of Airways – part 1: concept and methods.
Multiple professional groups and societies worldwide have produced airway management guidelines. These […]
- Observational study of anaesthesia workflow to evaluate physical workspace design and layout.
The safety and efficiency of anaesthesia care depend on the design of […]
- Desflurane and sevoflurane differentially affect activity of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson’s disease.
Desflurane and sevoflurane are commonly used during inhalational anaesthesia, but few studies […]
- Postoperative troponin increases after noncardiac surgery are associated with raised neurofilament light: a prospective observational cohort study.
Myocardial and neuronal injury occur commonly after noncardiac surgery. We examined whether […]
- Prone positioning for patients intubated for severe acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) secondary to COVID-19: a retrospective observational cohort study.
The role of repeated prone positioning in intubated subjects with acute respiratory […]
- Anaemia in cardiac surgery – a retrospective review of a centre’s experience with a pre-operative intravenous iron clinic.
Pre-operative anaemia is associated with higher rates of transfusion and worse outcomes, […]
- A systematic review of reporting quality for anaesthetic interventions in randomised controlled trials.
Interventions from randomised controlled trials can only be replicated if they are […]
- Neuromuscular Block Monitoring in Patients With Facial Rejuvenation: A Case Report.
Neuromuscular blocking agents are used during general anesthesia to optimize intubating and […]
- Apparent Reversal of a Successful Peripheral Neural Blockade With Intravenous Lipid Emulsion After Treatment for Local Anesthetic Systemic Toxicity: A Case Report.
The use of local anesthetics for improved pain management is well established. […]
- New algorithm to quantify cardiopulmonary interaction in patients with atrial fibrillation: a proof-of-concept study.
Traditional formulas to calculate pulse pressure variation (PPV) cannot be used in […]
- Polypharmacy and emergency readmission to hospital after critical illness: a population-level cohort study.
Polypharmacy is common and closely linked to drug interactions. The impact of […]
- Decision-making around admission to intensive care in the UK pre-COVID-19: a multicentre ethnographic study.
Predicting who will benefit from admission to an intensive care unit is […]
- The use of intravenous lidocaine for postoperative pain and recovery: international consensus statement on efficacy and safety.
Intravenous lidocaine is used widely for its effect on postoperative pain and […]
- Consensus guidelines on perioperative management of malignant hyperthermia suspected or susceptible patients from the European Malignant Hyperthermia Group.
Malignant hyperthermia is a potentially fatal condition, in which genetically predisposed individuals […]
- Ventilation and outcomes following robotic-assisted abdominal surgery: an international, multicentre observational study.
International data on the epidemiology, ventilation practice, and outcomes in patients undergoing […]
- Selective optogenetic activation of orexinergic terminals in the basal forebrain and locus coeruleus promotes emergence from isoflurane anaesthesia in rats.
The neuropeptide orexin promotes arousal from general anaesthesia, however the neuronal circuits […]
- A prospective, up-down sequential allocation study investigating the effectiveness of vital capacity breaths using high-flow nasal oxygenation versus a tight-fitting face mask to pre-oxygenate term pregnant women.
The role of high flow nasal oxygenation (HFNO) for pre-oxygenation before obstetric […]
- Perioperative Pain and Addiction Interdisciplinary Network (PAIN): consensus recommendations for perioperative management of cannabis and cannabinoid-based medicine users by a modified Delphi process.
In many countries, liberalisation of the legislation regulating the use of cannabis […]
- Bayesian predictive probabilities: a good way to monitor clinical trials.
Bayesian methods, with the predictive probability (PredP), allow multiple interim analyses with […]
- Few and feasible preoperative variables can identify high-risk surgical patients: derivation and validation of the Ex-Care risk model.
The development of feasible preoperative risk tools is desirable, especially for low-middle […]
- Prediction of breakthrough pain during labour neuraxial analgesia: comparison of machine learning and multivariable regression approaches.
Risk-prediction models for breakthrough pain facilitate interventions to forestall inadequate labour analgesia, […]
- The effect of baricity of intrathecal bupivacaine for elective cesarean delivery on maternal cardiac output: a randomized study.
Hemodynamic instability during spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery is associated with adverse […]
- General anesthesia for cesarean delivery and childhood neurodevelopmental and perinatal outcomes: a secondary analysis of a randomized controlled trial.
In 2016, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration expressed concern that neurodevelopment […]
- A cluster quasi-randomized controlled trial of an interactive, monthly obstetric anesthesiology curriculum: impact on resident satisfaction and knowledge retention.
Increasingly, evidence supports the use of educational paradigms that focus on teacher-learner […]
- Perioperative management of patients with suspected or confirmed COVID-19: review and recommendations for perioperative management from a retrospective cohort study.
Current guidelines for perioperative management of coronavirus disease 19 (COVID-19) are mainly […]
- Perineural and intravenous dexamethasone and dexmedetomidine: network meta-analysis of adjunctive effects on supraclavicular bracheal plexus block.
Both perineural and intravenous dexamethasone and dexmedetomidine are used as local anaesthetic […]
- Deep neuromuscular block does not improve surgical conditions in patients receiving sevoflurane anaesthesia for laparoscopic renal surgery.
Deep neuromuscular block is associated with improved working conditions during laparoscopic surgery […]
- Systematic review and consensus definitions for the Standardized Endpoints in Perioperative Medicine (StEP) initiative: cardiovascular outcomes.
Adverse cardiovascular events are a leading cause of perioperative morbidity and mortality. […]
- Impact of intraoperative goal-directed fluid therapy on major morbidity and mortality after transthoracic oesophagectomy: a multicentre, randomised controlled trial.
Transthoracic oesophagectomy is associated with major morbidity and mortality, which may be […]
- Low-Volume Local Anesthetics for C5 and Supraclavicular Nerve Blocks for Mid and Lateral Clavicle Surgery: A Case Series.
After institutional ethics committee approval and informed consent, 20 patients with clavicle […]
- Peri-operative COVID-19 infection in urgent elective surgery during a pandemic surge period: a retrospective observational cohort study.
Maintaining safe elective surgical activity during the global coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) […]
- Association between self-reported functional capacity and major adverse cardiac events in patients at elevated risk undergoing noncardiac surgery: a prospective diagnostic cohort study.
Perioperative cardiovascular guidelines endorse functional capacity estimation, based on ‘cut-off’ daily activities […]
- Explaining anaesthetic hysteresis with effect-site equilibration.
Anaesthetic induction occurs at higher plasma drug concentrations than emergence in animal […]
- Physiologically variable ventilation in a rabbit model of asthma exacerbation.
Mechanical ventilation during status asthmaticus is challenging and increases the risk of […]
- The effect of COVID-19 on general anaesthesia rates for caesarean section. A cross sectional analysis of six hospitals in the north-west of England.
At the onset of the global pandemic of COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2), guidelines recommended […]
- The PREVENNT randomised, double-blind, controlled trial of preoperative intravenous iron to treat anaemia before major abdominal surgery: an independent discussion.
Anaemia is a common finding in patients presenting for major elective surgery […]