- Differential effects of the novel neurosteroid hypnotic (3β,5β,17β)-3-hydroxyandrostane-17-carbonitrile on electroencephalogram activity in male and female rats.
We recently showed that a neurosteroid analogue, (3β,5β,17β)-3-hydroxyandrostane-17-carbonitrile (3β-OH), induced hypnosis in […]
- Intrasacral Meningocele Complicating Caudal Analgesia in a 6-Year-Old Child After 3 Previous Uneventful Caudals: A Case Report.
A 6-year-old male undergoing bilateral hydrocelectomy was to receive caudal analgesia after […]
- Quantitative Assessment of the Incidence of Persistent Orthostatic Hemodynamic Changes After Celiac Plexus Neurolysis: A Prospective Case Series.
Celiac plexus neurolysis has been associated with orthostatic hypotension but has not […]
- Comparison between epidural and intravenous analgesia effects on disease-free survival after colorectal cancer surgery: a randomised multicentre controlled trial.
Thoracic epidural analgesia (TEA) has been suggested to improve survival after curative […]
- Current status of perioperative hypnotics, role of benzodiazepines, and the case for remimazolam: a narrative review.
Anaesthesiologists and non-anaesthesiologist sedationists have a limited set of available i.v. hypnotics, […]
- Hip fracture characteristics and outcomes during COVID-19: a large retrospective national database review.
The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted healthcare in various vulnerable patient subpopulations. However, […]
- Anesthetic Management for Endovascular Treatment of Stroke in Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019: A Case Series.
A significant number of patients with coronavirus disease 2019 develop strokes with […]
- The effect of peri-operative dexmedetomidine on the incidence of postoperative delirium in cardiac and non-cardiac surgical patients: a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled trial.
Delirium occurs commonly following major non-cardiac and cardiac surgery and is associated […]
- Unrecognized Postoperative Opioid-Induced Movement Disorder: A Case Report.
A 22-year-old man, with a medical history significant for posttraumatic stress disorder […]
- Dexamethasone and Surgical-Site Infection.
The glucocorticoid dexamethasone prevents nausea and vomiting after surgery, but there is […]
- Impact of an Australian/New Zealand organisational position statement on extended-release opioid prescribing among surgical inpatients: a dual centre before-and-after study.
Extended-release opioids are often prescribed to manage postoperative pain despite being difficult […]
- Goldenhar Syndrome With Ankylosis of the Temporomandibular Joint: A Case Report.
Goldenhar syndrome, or oculoauriculovertebral dysplasia, represents approximately 10% of craniofacial microsomia anomalies. […]
- Spinal astrocyte aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 mediates ethanol metabolism and analgesia in mice.
Little is known about the targets in the CNS that mediate ethanol […]
- High-flow nasal oxygenation or standard oxygenation for gastrointestinal endoscopy with sedation in patients at risk of hypoxaemia: a multicentre randomised controlled trial (ODEPHI trial).
We aimed to determine whether high-flow nasal oxygen could reduce the incidence […]
- Long-term trends in critical care admissions in Wales.
As national populations age, demands on critical care services are expected to […]
- How can never event data be used to reflect or improve hospital safety performance* ?
The absolute number of never events is used by UK regulators to […]
- Use of high-resolution thermography as a validation measure to confirm epidural anesthesia in mice: a cross-over study.
Effective epidural anesthesia is confirmed in humans by sensory assessments but these […]
- When does obstetric coagulopathy occur and how do I manage it?
Anticipating obstetric coagulopathy is important when obstetric anaesthetists are involved in the […]
- When and how should I transfuse during obstetric hemorrhage?
The incidence of maternal hemorrhage and blood transfusion has increased over time. […]
- Why are women still dying from obstetric hemorrhage? A narrative review of perspectives from high and low resource settings.
The possibility of hemorrhage will always co-exist with pregnancy, whether anticipated or […]
- Acute Intraoperative Hypoxemia During Right Pneumonectomy-The Heart and Lung Interaction: A Case Report.
A 75-year-old woman with a history of right-upper lobectomy for adenocarcinoma presented […]
- Effects of dexmedetomidine on subthalamic local field potentials in Parkinson’s disease.
Dexmedetomidine is frequently used for sedation during deep brain stimulator implantation in […]
- Induced normothermia ameliorates the procoagulant host response in human endotoxaemia.
Dysregulation of coagulation occurs commonly in sepsis, ranging from mild coagulopathy with […]
- Stereoselective ketamine effect on cardiac output: a population pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic modelling study in healthy volunteers.
Ketamine has cardiac excitatory side-effects. Currently, data on the effects of ketamine […]
- Steroids to reduce the impact on delirium (STRIDE): a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled feasibility trial of pre-operative dexamethasone in people with hip fracture.
Neuro-inflammation may be important in the pathogenesis of postoperative delirium following hip […]
- Antepartum and postpartum anemia: a narrative review.
Antepartum anemia impacts over a third of pregnant women globally and is […]
- Are we listening? Obstetric anesthesiology and the national call for birth justice and accountability: a perspective from the United States.
Despite declining rates of pregnancy-related deaths worldwide, the United States (US) has […]
- Pulmonary volume-feedback and ventilatory pattern after bilateral lung transplantation using neurally adjusted ventilatory assist ventilation.
Bilateral lung transplantation results in pulmonary vagal denervation, which potentially alters respiratory […]
- Decision-to-delivery interval and neonatal outcomes for category-1 caesarean sections during the COVID-19 pandemic.
General anaesthesia is known to achieve the shortest decision-to-delivery interval for category-1 […]
- Persistent headache and low back pain after accidental dural puncture in the obstetric population: a prospective, observational, multicentre cohort study.
Accidental dural puncture following epidural insertion can cause a post-dural headache that […]
- The effect of saline versus air for cuff inflation on the incidence of high intra-cuff pressure in paediatric MicroCuff® tracheal tubes: a randomised controlled trial.
The use of cuffed tracheal tubes in paediatric anaesthesia is now common. […]
- Effect of the use of earplugs and eye masks on the quality of sleep after major abdominal surgery: a randomised controlled trial.
Significant sleep disturbance can occur following major abdominal surgery. We aimed to […]
- Sympathetic Blockade for the Management of Refractory Ventricular Tachycardia: A Case Report.
A 64-year-old man with a history of nonischemic cardiomyopathy (NICM) presented with […]
- Tracheal Dilatation of an Idiopathic Subglottic Stenosis in a Near-Term Parturient at 36 Weeks of Gestation Using SponTaneous Respiration Using Intravenous Anesthesia and Hi-Flow Nasal Oxygen: A Case Report.
Hi-flow nasal oxygen (HFNO) has revolutionized tubeless field anesthesia for airway surgery […]
- Avatar-based patient monitoring in critical anaesthesia events: a randomised high-fidelity simulation study.
Failures in situation awareness cause two-thirds of anaesthesia complications. Avatar-based patient monitoring […]
- A randomised trial of bilateral erector spinae plane block vs. no block for thoracolumbar decompressive spinal surgery.
Major spinal surgery causes significant postoperative pain. We tested the efficacy and […]
- General anaesthesia in end-of-life care: extending the indications for anaesthesia beyond surgery.
In this article, we describe an extension of general anaesthesia – beyond […]
- Anaemia among intensive care unit survivors and association with days alive and at home: an observational study.
Anaemia is highly prevalent at the time of intensive care unit discharge […]
- Relationships between preoperative cortical thickness, postoperative electroencephalogram slowing, and postoperative delirium.
It is unclear how preoperative neurodegeneration and postoperative changes in EEG delta […]
- Surgery and opioids: evidence-based expert consensus guidelines on the perioperative use of opioids in the United Kingdom.
There are significant concerns regarding prescription and misuse of prescription opioids in […]
- Validation of the factors influencing family consent for organ donation in the UK.
Between 2013 and 2019, there was an increase in the consent rate […]
- Effects of general anaesthesia during pregnancy on neurocognitive development of the fetus: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
The US Food and Drug Administration warned that exposure of pregnant women […]
- Methodology of measuring postoperative cognitive dysfunction: a systematic review.
Postoperative cognitive dysfunction (POCD) is an adverse outcome that impacts patients’ quality […]
- Impact of differences in acute respiratory distress syndrome randomised controlled trial inclusion and exclusion criteria: systematic review and meta-analysis.
Control-arm mortality varies between acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) RCTs.We systematically reviewed […]
- Morbidity and mortality after anaesthesia in early life: results of the European prospective multicentre observational study, neonate and children audit of anaesthesia practice in Europe (NECTARINE).
Neonates and infants requiring anaesthesia are at risk of physiological instability and […]
- Difficult tracheal intubation in neonates and infants. NEonate and Children audiT of Anaesthesia pRactice IN Europe (NECTARINE): a prospective European multicentre observational study.
Neonates and infants are susceptible to hypoxaemia in the perioperative period. The […]
- Preoperative lymphopaenia, mortality, and morbidity after elective surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis.
In the general adult population, lymphopaenia is associated with an increased risk […]
- Associations of thrombocytopenia, transaminase elevations, and transfusion with laboratory coagulation tests in women with preeclampsia: a cross-sectional study.
Women with preeclampsia may develop coagulopathy, predisposing to bleeding complications. Although guidelines […]
- Cardiac Arrest due to Failed Pacemaker Capture After Peripheral Nerve Blockade With Levobupivacaine: A Case Report.
We describe a patient with a pacemaker who developed cardiac arrest shortly […]
- Teaching Medical Students to Create Anesthetic Plans Using a Branched-Chain Learning Module.
It is challenging to include medical students in the anesthetic decision-making process […]
- Placenta accreta spectrum disorder: updates on anesthetic and surgical management strategies.
Placenta accreta spectrum (PAS) is a leading contributor to major obstetric hemorrhage […]
- Anesthetic Management of a Child With Rapid-Onset Dystonia-Parkinsonism (DYT12-ATP1A3): A Case Report.
Rapid-onset dystonia-parkinsonism also known as DYT12-ATP1A3 is an extremely rare neurological disease. […]
- Cryoneurolysis of Innervation to Sacroiliac Joints: Technical Description and Initial Results-A Case Series.
The sacroiliac joint (SIJ) is a common source of pain in patients […]
- Fast-Track Cardiac Anesthesia Aids in the Early Diagnosis of Lower Extremity Compartment Syndrome: A Case Report.
A 21-year-old otherwise healthy male with severe asymptomatic mitral regurgitation underwent a […]
- Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis Masquerading as a Compressive Neuraxial Lesion Following Lumbar Epidural Placement in a Parturient: A Case Report.
We report the management of a parturient with undiagnosed hypokalemic periodic paralysis […]
- The effect of respiratory activity, non-invasive respiratory support and facemasks on aerosol generation and its relevance to COVID-19.
Respirable aerosols (< 5 µm in diameter) present a high risk of SARS-CoV-2 […]
- Use of a Rigid Bronchoscope as the Sole Prebypass Airway During Pediatric Tracheal Tumor Resection: A Case Report.
We describe the anesthetic and operative techniques utilized for a tracheal tumor […]
- Association of uterine activity and maternal volatile anesthetic exposure during open fetal surgery for spina bifida: a retrospective analysis.
Recent warnings postulate a possible damaging effect of volatile anesthetics on the […]
- Can measuring blood loss at delivery reduce hemorrhage-related morbidity?
Quantitation of blood loss after vaginal and cesarean delivery has been advocated […]
- Impact of a physician – critical care practitioner pre-hospital service in Wales on trauma survival: a retrospective analysis of linked registry data.
The Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service for Wales launched in 2015. […]