- Continuous Erector Spinae Plane Block for Refractory Chest Wall Pain in a Patient With Metastatic Breast Cancer: A Case Report.
In this case report, we described the use of the continuous erector […]
- Effect of Vitamin C, Thiamine, and Hydrocortisone on Ventilator- and Vasopressor-Free Days in Patients With Sepsis: The VICTAS Randomized Clinical Trial.
Sepsis is a common syndrome with substantial morbidity and mortality. A combination […]
- Epidural blood patch for post-dural puncture headaches in adult and paediatric patients with malignancies: a review.
Many anaesthetists are hesitant to perform epidural blood patch in patients with […]
- Perioperative management of patients with pulmonary hypertension undergoing non-cardiothoracic, non-obstetric surgery: a systematic review and expert consensus statement.
The risk of complications, including death, is substantially increased in patients with […]
- Effectiveness of intubation devices in patients with cervical spine immobilisation: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.
Cervical spine immobilisation increases the difficulty of tracheal intubation. Many intubation devices […]
- Lung recruitment in the prone position after cardiac surgery: a randomised controlled study.
Atelectasis after cardiac surgery is common and promotes ventilation/perfusion mismatch, infection, and […]
- Pre-oxygenation using high-flow nasal oxygen vs. tight facemask during rapid sequence induction.
Pre-oxygenation using high-flow nasal oxygen can decrease the risk of desaturation during […]
- Direct Visualization of the Dural Puncture Site During Lumbar Spine Surgery Performed Under Spinal Anesthesia: A Case Report.
Spinal anesthesia (SA) has been utilized for lumbar surgical procedures; however, postdural […]
- First Report of Spinal Anesthesia for Cesarean Delivery in a Parturient With Jeune Syndrome: A Case Report.
Jeune syndrome, also known as asphyxiating thoracic dystrophy, is a rare form […]
- Management of Factor X Deficiency for Vaginal Delivery in a Parturient: A Case Report.
Factor X (FX) deficiency is a rare coagulopathy that may cause bleeding […]
- Perioperative Management of an Adult Patient With Myoclonic Epilepsy With Ragged Red Fibers Syndrome: A Case Report.
Myoclonic epilepsy with ragged red fibers (MERRF) syndrome is a rare mitochondrial […]
- Costs of Inaccurate Anesthesia Start Time Documentation Within a Health System.
Inaccurate anesthesia start time (AST) documentation can result in lost revenue. Using […]
- Impact of vaccination by priority group on UK deaths, hospital admissions and intensive care admissions from COVID-19.
National (and global) vaccination provides an opportunity to control the COVID-19 pandemic, […]
- Association of first trimester prescription opioid use with congenital malformations in the offspring: population based cohort study.
To evaluate the risk of first trimester exposure to prescription opioids for […]
- Deep learning models for the prediction of intraoperative hypotension.
Intraoperative hypotension is associated with a risk of postoperative organ dysfunction. In […]
- Interactive anesthesiology educational program improves wellness for anesthesiologists and their children.
Anesthesiologists have a high prevalence of burnout with adverse effects on professionalism […]
- Methodologies for systematic reviews with meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials in pain, anaesthesia, and perioperative medicine.
Systematic reviews and meta-analyses (SRMAs) are increasing in popularity, but should they […]
- Use of Airway Ultrasound in Infants With Unexpected Subglottic Stenosis During Anesthesia Induction: A Case Report.
Point-of-care ultrasound has been integrated into airway management because it allows for […]
- Water Accumulation in Amsorb Canister May Cause Inspiratory Flow Obstruction: A Case Report.
A patient received closed-circuit anesthesia from a General Electric Avance S/5 (GE […]
- Effect of variable pre-oxygenation endpoints on safe apnoea time using high flow nasal oxygen for women in labour: a modelling investigation.
Studies of pulmonary denitrogenation (pre-oxygenation) in obstetric populations have shown high flow […]
- General anaesthesia during infancy reduces white matter micro-organisation in developing rhesus monkeys.
Non-human primates are commonly used in neuroimaging research for which general anaesthesia […]
- Intraoperative venous congestion and acute kidney injury in cardiac surgery: an observational cohort study.
Increased intravascular volume has been associated with protection from acute kidney injury […]
- Peripheral nerve block anaesthesia and postoperative pain in acute ankle fracture surgery: the AnAnkle randomised trial.
Peripheral nerve blocks (PNBs) are increasingly popular in acute ankle fracture surgery […]
- Guideline on the peri-operative management of patients with sickle cell disease: Guideline from the Association of Anaesthetists.
Sickle cell disease is a multisystem disease characterised by chronic haemolytic anaemia, […]
- Development and evaluation of a novel pre-operative surgery school and behavioural change intervention for patients undergoing elective major surgery: Fit-4-Surgery School.
Group pre-operative education has usually been limited to conditioning expectations and providing […]
- Rabbit training model for establishing an emergency front of neck airway in children.
A ‘cannot intubate, cannot oxygenate’ (CICO) situation is rare in paediatric anaesthesia, […]
- Mortality in patients admitted to intensive care with COVID-19: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to cause critical illness and deaths internationally. Up […]
- Association between early postoperative nutritional supplement utilisation and length of stay in malnourished hip fracture patients.
Malnutrition in older hip fracture patients is associated with increased complication rates […]
- Determination of ED95 of a single-bolus dose of dexmedetomidine for adequate sedation in children and adolescents with and without obesity.
With the increasing prevalence of children who are overweight and with obesity, […]
- Effect of simulation-based team training in airway management: a systematic review.
Major complications associated with airway management are rare but often have serious […]
- The effect of labour epidural case volume on the rate of accidental dural puncture.
Accidental dural puncture is a recognised complication of labour epidural placement and […]
- Quality of recovery scores in deep serratus anterior plane block vs. sham block in ambulatory breast cancer surgery: a randomised controlled trial.
Deep serratus anterior plane block has been widely adopted as an analgesic […]
- Addressing priorities for surgical research in Africa: implementation of a multicentre cloud-based peri-operative registry in Ethiopia.
In resource-constrained settings, where inequalities in access to and quality of surgical […]
- Global variation in postoperative mortality and complications after cancer surgery: a multicentre, prospective cohort study in 82 countries.
80% of individuals with cancer will require a surgical procedure, yet little […]
- Phenylephrine impairs host defence mechanisms to infection: a combined laboratory study in mice and translational human study.
Immunosuppression after surgery is associated with postoperative complications, mediated in part by […]
- Intrathecal catheter use after accidental dural puncture in obstetric patients: literature review and clinical management recommendations.
If an accidental dural puncture occurs, one option is to insert a […]
- Evaluation of N95 respirators, modified snorkel masks and low-cost powered air-purifying respirators: a prospective observational cohort study in healthcare workers.
Disposable N95 respirator masks are the current standard for healthcare worker respiratory […]
- Exovent: a study of a new negative-pressure ventilatory support device in healthy adults.
Negative-pressure ventilation may have several advantages compared with positive-pressure ventilation. Negative-pressure ventilation […]
- Airway Management in Complete Oral Cavity Foreign Body Obstruction: A Case Report.
Foreign body (FB) injuries of the airway and of the digestive tract […]
- Machine learning methods to improve bedside fluid responsiveness prediction in severe sepsis or septic shock: an observational study.
Passive leg raising (PLR) predicts fluid responsiveness in critical illness, although restrictions […]
- Effects of noxious stimulation on the electroencephalogram during general anaesthesia: a narrative review and approach to analgesic titration.
Electroencephalographic (EEG) activity is used to monitor the neurophysiology of the brain, […]
- Population pharmacokinetics of ropivacaine used for local infiltration anaesthesia during primary total unilateral and simultaneous bilateral knee arthroplasty.
Ropivacaine is commonly used in local infiltration anaesthesia (LIA) as pain management […]
- Using psychometric ability to improve education in ultrasound-guided regional anaesthesia: a multicentre randomised controlled trial.
The learning curve for novices developing regional anaesthesia skills, such as real-time […]
- Clinically applicable approach for predicting mechanical ventilation in patients with COVID-19.
Patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) requiring mechanical ventilation have high mortality […]
- Relationship of perioperative anaphylaxis to neuromuscular blocking agents, obesity, and pholcodine consumption: a case-control study.
The observation that patients presenting for bariatric surgery had a high incidence […]
- Utilization of Magnesium in Opioid-Free Anesthesia for Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy: A Case Report.
Optimal anesthetic management has not been studied for peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM). […]
- Case Report of Remifentanil Labor Analgesia for a Pregnant Patient With Congenital Methemoglobinemia Type 1.
Congenital methemoglobinemia is a rare disease characterized by cyanosis and a left […]
- Scapular Block: An Innovative Procedure-Specific Regional Anesthesia Technique for Scapula Surgery-A Case Report.
A 40-year-old healthy male patient underwent open reduction and internal fixation with […]
- Perioperative Multidisciplinary Delirium Prevention: A Longitudinal Case Report.
Postoperative delirium is associated with accelerated cognitive decline, mortality, and high health […]
- The Anaesthesia Case Report (ACRE) checklist: a tool to promote high-quality reporting of cases in peri-operative practice.
Case reports have fulfilled an important role in the development of anaesthesia […]
- Volatile anaesthesia and peri-operative outcomes related to cancer: a feasibility and pilot study for a large randomised control trial.
Published data suggest that the type of general anaesthesia used during surgical […]
- Cardiovascular events in patients undergoing hip fracture surgery treated with remote ischaemic preconditioning: 1-year follow-up of a randomised clinical trial.
Remote ischaemic preconditioning reduces the risk of myocardial injury within 4 days of […]
- Incidence of accidental awareness during general anaesthesia in obstetrics: a multicentre, prospective cohort study.
General anaesthesia for obstetric surgery has distinct characteristics that may contribute towards […]
- Ultrasound-guided fascial plane blocks of the chest wall: a state-of-the-art review.
Ultrasound-guided fascial plane blocks of the chest wall are increasingly popular alternatives […]
- Fundamentals and innovations in regional anaesthesia for infants and children.
Regional anaesthesia in children has evolved rapidly in the last decade. Although […]
- The role of regional anaesthesia in the emerging subspecialty of onco-anaesthesia: a state-of-the-art review.
Cancer accounts for millions of deaths globally each year, predominantly due to […]
- Novel approaches to needle tracking and visualisation.
The accuracy and reliability of ultrasound are still insufficient to guarantee complete […]
- Contemporary training methods in regional anaesthesia: fundamentals and innovations.
Over the past two decades, regional anaesthesia and medical education as a […]
- Regional anaesthesia for labour, operative vaginal delivery and caesarean delivery: a narrative review.
This narrative review discusses recent evidence surrounding the use of regional anaesthesia […]
- Hyperbaric prilocaine vs. hyperbaric bupivacaine for spinal anaesthesia in women undergoing elective caesarean section: a comparative randomised double-blind study.
Hyperbaric bupivacaine spinal anaesthesia remains the gold standard for elective caesarean section, […]