The impact of MEG results on surgical outcomes in patients with drug-resistant epilepsy associated with focal encephalomalacia: a single-center experience.

Please login or register to bookmark this article
Bookmark this %label%

To analyze the impact of magnetoencephalography (MEG) results on surgical outcomes in patients with drug-resistant epilepsy secondary to encephalomalacia.We retrospectively reviewed 121 patients with drug-resistant epilepsy associated with encephalomalacia who underwent MEG followed by resection surgery. Patients were subdivided into concordant MEG group and dis-concordant MEG group for analysis based on whether the MEG results were in concordance with epileptogenic zones or not.121 patients were included in the present study. The MEG spike sources of 73 (60.33%) patients were in concordance with epileptogenic zones while the MEG spike sources of the other 48 (39.67%) were in dis-concordance with epileptogenic zones. Favorable seizure outcomes were achieved in 79.45% (58 of 73) of patients with concordant MEG results while only 62.50% (30 of 48) of patients with dis-concordant MEG results were seizure free with a follow-up of 2-10 years. The differences of seizure-free rate between patients with concordant MEG results and dis-concordant MEG results were statistically significant. For patients with concordant MEG results, bilateral lesions on MRI are the only independent predictor of unfavorable seizure outcomes. For patients with discordant MEG results, duration of seizures is the only independent predictor of unfavorable seizure outcomes.Concordant MEG results are associated with favorable seizure outcomes. Bilateral lesions on MRI independently predict unfavorable seizure outcomes in patients with concordant MEG results while longer seizure durations independently predict unfavorable seizure outcomes in patients with dis-concordant MEG results.

Click here to read the full article @ Journal of neurology